Register Now
StaceyPowers

Regulators looking into scalping of consoles

Pretty decent thing, i hope it becomes a global thing (as some people here imported consoles in Bulk too and started setting higher prices for them as well).

Scalpers didn't only lead into shortage in stock but also made older parts more expensive as well (talking about GPU's)

The solution is retailers making it harder for scalpers to checkout with multiple items quickly. The fact that there's no captcha, or you don't have to confirm payment info or anything is why this keeps happening. It would also help if console manufacturers would produce enough to meet demand.

At least UK is to start 🙂

Making it illegal won't really change anything. Blow is illegal, yet it's still in high demand and sold all over the world. And there's such a thing as fake ID's and cash. Someone can come in with more than one fake ID, all with different names and info, pay with cash, and end up walking away with 30 new systems. They can then triple the retail price and make a killing. And what's the penalty if they're caught? A fine and/or probation? Yeah, that's a deterrent. Unless they've been under surveillance they can just say that was the first one they sold, and they will get off with virtually nothing. Or that they just didn't like the system and sold it to an acquaintance that wanted one. No punishment there, as that is the truth. The person was an acquaintance and they sold them the system.

Passing laws making it illegal will solve nothing unless the punishment when caught is extreme, such as twenty years in federal prison for each system scalped. Then it would be a deterrent. But we all know that will never happen. Rapists and murderers get less time.

On 3/11/2021 at 11:09 AM, The Blackangel said:

Making it illegal won't really change anything. Blow is illegal, yet it's still in high demand and sold all over the world. And there's such a thing as fake ID's and cash. Someone can come in with more than one fake ID, all with different names and info, pay with cash, and end up walking away with 30 new systems. They can then triple the retail price and make a killing. And what's the penalty if they're caught? A fine and/or probation? Yeah, that's a deterrent. Unless they've been under surveillance they can just say that was the first one they sold, and they will get off with virtually nothing. Or that they just didn't like the system and sold it to an acquaintance that wanted one. No punishment there, as that is the truth. The person was an acquaintance and they sold them the system.

Passing laws making it illegal will solve nothing unless the punishment when caught is extreme, such as twenty years in federal prison for each system scalped. Then it would be a deterrent. But we all know that will never happen. Rapists and murderers get less time.

There needs to be harsh punishment on both sides such as retailers getting a hefty fine for selling to scalpers as well as a year or two in jail for scaplers. 20 Years is typically reserved for first-degree murders and stuff like that. 

True, but under such a threat (even an empty one) it would be a good deterrent. If they think they're facing 20 years for scalping, they would be scared shitless of being caught. I know a few people who used to be slinging crank that are doing life for it. They never murdered anyone directly, but we all know that someone somewhere has to have died somewhere along the line.

I also know one girl who got 22 years for a bar fight.

Then again, last year I saw on the news 2 parents got 18 months probation for child abuse.

The laws in this country are severely fucked up.

Edited by The Blackangel

On 3/13/2021 at 6:52 AM, The Blackangel said:

True, but under such a threat (even an empty one) it would be a good deterrent. If they think they're facing 20 years for scalping, they would be scared shitless of being caught. I know a few people who used to be slinging crank that are doing life for it. They never murdered anyone directly, but we all know that someone somewhere has to have died somewhere along the line.

I also know one girl who got 22 years for a bar fight.

Then again, last year I saw on the news 2 parents got 18 months probation for child abuse.

The laws in this country are severely fucked up.

Personally, I think the court system in most countries aren't very consistent in terms of punishment to fit the crime but a lot of other factors also play a part in the punishment each individual faces. In addition to that, there are also racial and social biases as well which are factored into the amount of time a person gets (but they won't mention that either).

You also have that "technicality" bullshit. If one number is off on a form somewhere that the prosecution is using, the person can win a rape/murder and face no punishment. Especially if white privilege is a factor. I'm white, but that bullshit pisses me off. Having pale skin doesn't mean you wouldn't commit a crime or should get less of a punishment than someone with dark skin.

I'm 

On 2/26/2021 at 2:07 AM, StaceyPowers said:

In the UK, there is apparently a bill that might ban scalping consoles. This seems entirely reasonable to me. Thoughts?

Personally, I think that it's the right thing to do because in the end, it's the end gamers that suffering the most from what's happening. 

1 hour ago, Heatman said:

Personally, I think that it's the right thing to do because in the end, it's the end gamers that suffering the most from what's happening. 

The people who keep buying from scalpers should also shoulder some of the responsibility because scalping wouldn't be profitable if some of us would exercise some self control.

I will back anything that bans scalping, it isn't fair. 

I'm surpised video game makers don't put the screws to Sony and the others to limit scalping either, the more scalpers hang onto excess stock, the less video game software is being bought. 

18 hours ago, killamch89 said:

The people who keep buying from scalpers should also shoulder some of the responsibility because scalping wouldn't be profitable if some of us would exercise some self control.

Seriously, sometimes I wonder some people want to make a mess of everything by their decisions.