Register Now
The Blackangel

A question from my girl

Nothing can ever replace a loved one. We know that. But we have also heard many times that when you lose a pet, getting another one can help you through. My girl wanted me to ask what everyone here thinks. Should we get another puppy? She's worried about the other dogs not liking the pup. She doesn't want to stress them out. But we know that adding another member to the family can be healthy.

Ours passed away in 2012 & it took me a few years to overcome it. She was mommy’s girl & had helped me through a lot of tough situations. We thought of getting a new dog, but I was never ready. What helped is fostering. Some we did for just a day, some was for a few months. I know it sounds cheesy, but you WILL know when you are ready again. You’ll know when you don’t have to ask the question- Are we ready for another dog?

2 hours ago, ZandraJoi said:

Ours passed away in 2012 & it took me a few years to overcome it. She was mommy’s girl & had helped me through a lot of tough situations. We thought of getting a new dog, but I was never ready. What helped is fostering. Some we did for just a day, some was for a few months. I know it sounds cheesy, but you WILL know when you are ready again. You’ll know when you don’t have to ask the question- Are we ready for another dog?

Sometimes, we need to also look back on the good memories that the dog blessed us with and also the lessons you learned from having them in your life. My labrador I had as a kid died in 2013. She died exactly 13 years after her birth and I learned a lot from her about animals. She even reminded me to never give up - she died 4 weeks after they thought she'd pass away but Daisy is a stubborn old girl so he wasn't giving her life up so easy. I was sad but I also smiled remembering the impact Daisy had on my life.