Register Now
Steerminator

Games I am (and have been for months now) waiting for and looking forward to

I don't know why I'm posting this here.  I guess to help relieve some of the tension I feel about waiting and waiting and waiting for some of these things.  Not that I mind waiting.  I always say, let them take as long as they need to to make the best quality game that they can.

Anyways, this is everything I have (on my list) now, in no particular order:

Axiom Verge 2
Bayonetta 3
Forsaken Castle
Gestalt:  Steam & Cinder
Cyber Shadow
Mind Seize
Metal Unit
SteamDolls
The Last Faith
9 Years of Shadows

Well, except the top one.  Axiom Verge 2 is at the top by design because I FUCKING LOVE AXIOM VERGE.  Oh, and the fact that they're almost all indie games is purely coincidental, I assure you!  I just really love retro style games, and, well... a lot of those seem to come from Indie developers these days for some reason.  And yes, before you say it, I know that a bunch of these are available already either on Steam or even on the Switch.  Well, I'm not gonna buy something on Steam if I already know its coming to Switch (and these are all confirmed to be, pretty sure).  But beyond that even, I -really- prefer to get a physical copy of a game if I can.  And the ones that are on Switch already are confirmed to get physical copies.  Except Cyber Shadow, I think, so I might just go ahead and get that one in the near future.

If you're familiar with a bunch of these, then you probably have a pretty good idea about -some- of my favorite kinds of games [in this case, metroidvanias, action/adventure type games, games of the fantasy, sci-fi, and horror genres (or just thematically)].  So if any of you look at these and think there's a game that I should know about, by all means, inform me!  Or just feel free to chime in and say "I'm anxious to play X or Y game as well!"  😄

On 2/27/2021 at 1:45 PM, killamch89 said:

My list is as follows:

Dying Light (if it comes out this year and RE 8. To be honest, I've hardly seen any upcoming games that have really peeked my interest. All I see is lots of remakes and remasters.

I've been waiting for that Dying Light too. RE8 I bet is gonna be scarrrryyy. RE7 is going to be hard to beat. That may have been their best one so far.

I'm really looking forward to Horizon Forbidden West. Biomutant looks interesting. 

I can't say I'm very excited for any game right now that has been already announced for release in the near future.

Maybe the PC version of Days gone.

I was excited for Vampire Masquerade, but with the troubles around development, I've lost my appetite for that game.

Same for Test Drive Unlimited 3 / aka. Solar Crown, with bigben / nacon being in charge I fear the worst.

I'm interested in Elden Ring, but that's nothing but curiosity yet, I'm not convinced the game is for me.

I'm pessimistic about Horizon Forbidden West, HZD was already too politically charged, and HFW seems worse, besides I'm not plannig to buy a PS5 for a very long time.

Literally  the most exciting thing now, are the rumours about the Uncharted series coming to PC

On 3/8/2021 at 4:47 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

I've been waiting for that Dying Light too. RE8 I bet is gonna be scarrrryyy. RE7 is going to be hard to beat. That may have been their best one so far.

I'm really looking forward to Horizon Forbidden West. Biomutant looks interesting. 

Dying Light is just like when your parents used to tell you that Santa is real and he's going to show up on Christmas every year but you never encounter him. After a while, you just realize that Santa isn't real.

16 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

Santa is wiping his ass with my list

If he were real, I know I wouldn't make that list just for the sheer chaos I tend to cause when I'm in games. I mean I'm nowhere near a tryhard or griever bad, I'd more be like a Doctor Evil from Austin Powers with the awkward evil laugh and trolling almost everyone in sight.

On 3/9/2021 at 8:49 PM, m76 said:

I'm pessimistic about Horizon Forbidden West, HZD was already too politically charged, and HFW seems worse

I know it's an old comment and all but l I'm not sure where you're coming from there.  Horizon Zero Dawn has internal politics within it's own narrative and lore but I can't recall any of it being direct satire or commentary on any current political events.  There are some subtle commentary on certain social issues like sexism, corporate greed and the environment but it's nothing over the top.

12 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I know it's an old comment and all but l I'm not sure where you're coming from there.  Horizon Zero Dawn has internal politics within it's own narrative and lore but I can't recall any of it being direct satire or commentary on any current political events.  There are some subtle commentary on certain social issues like sexism, corporate greed and the environment but it's nothing over the top.

It was not over the top enough to make the game bad, but I expect the sequel to be worse in this regard. And it's not only me who says it is loaded, but many left leaning publications ran articles on how it is a feminist game when it released.

It's also against having family values. The  worst part to me was how the game condemns Olin for trying to protect his family.

I like strong female characters, but I don't like that every male character stands on  the back of a female in the game. And those who don't are either evil or completely useless. It's very jarring.  I don't think it's helping feminism to present all male characters as either stupid dudebros or as helpless inept and weak.  I think it would be much better if the female hero could be seen as competent next to respectable males, instead of these caricatures of extremity.

1 hour ago, m76 said:

It was not over the top enough to make the game bad, but I expect the sequel to be worse in this regard. And it's not only me who says it is loaded, but many left leaning publications ran articles on how it is a feminist game when it released.

To some extent your right.  The Nora tribe are a society where men are generally subordinate to the woman.  The leaders, or Matriarchs are all woman and are ranked by how how many generations of children and grandchildren they have which is all tied up into their culture.  The thing is it does NOT present that as a good thing.  They are stubborn and can be very cruel.  Especially with how they treat Aloy herself since she has "No Mother".

It's not all one sided either.  In the Carja and and to a lesser degree the Oseram are more male centric society's.  The new Sun King is pushing for equality but there are still a some people pushing back like Ahsis of the hunters lodge.  Being a victim of prejudice herself Aloy is just as against this as the prejudices of the Nora.

When it comes Forbidden West we'll have wait and see to be sure but based on what we know now (which is significantly more than what we had when you made your first post back in September) their is nothing that suggests it's going to be "worse".  If anything it looks like it's stepping further away from gender issues.  At least 3 of her allies that accompany Aloy to the Forbidden West are male and the main human villain (Regalla of the Tenakth) is a woman.  Like I said we won't know anything until it comes out but prejudice and gender equality seems to less of theme here and it was never that provident in the Zero Dawn either.

1 hour ago, m76 said:

It's also against having family values. The worst part to me was how the game condemns Olin for trying to protect his family.

Now that's bullshit!  Family values are not presented that way at all!

Fist of all if you ask me it presents Olin and what in a very relatable way, the Eclipse kidnapped his family and coerced him to working for them.  He throws everything on the line to protect his family, that's literally the polar opposite to "against family values". He's a victim in this story, not a villain!

Even when staring death in the face he puts family first, which brings me onto the second and much bigger hole in your statement.  How could the game, or writers of the game which is what you really mean, "condemn" him when his fate is left up the player!  That is absolutely ridiculous!

1 hour ago, m76 said:

I like strong female characters, but I don't like that every male character stands on  the back of a female in the game. And those who don't are either evil or completely useless. It's very jarring.  I don't think it's helping feminism to present all male characters as either stupid dudebros or as helpless inept and weak.  I think it would be much better if the female hero could be seen as competent next to respectable males, instead of these caricatures of extremity.

I'm with you to some degree.  I mean just look at Vanasha, where the hell are all the men with abs like this!

IMG_0247.JPG.thumb.jpg.efc9a4ceac39c9a6f8b7c2a059b0abcd.jpg

I know she's a trained spy but she's spent most of the last few working as a handmaiden, not a fucking wrestler!

For every bitch like Lansra in the game there's about three or four complete cocks!  I don't agree that "every male character stands on the back of a female in the game. And those who don't are either evil or completely useless" (Nil, RostAratak and Uthid to name a few) there is to many male characters that fall into those tropes and it should have been better balanced.  I talked about Forbidden West and Regalla so it seems this might be being addressed but we'll see.

Edited by Crazycrab

On 1/26/2022 at 1:42 PM, m76 said:

It's also against having family values. The  worst part to me was how the game condemns Olin for trying to protect his family.

Yeah, TOTALLY see what you mean;

Dervahl.thumb.png.496720f7c73e29735ab034a6bcbcc275.png

f1dd8cde61af1eb029d58b7b29d0b094.thumb.png.08bee7425ced6fa4931e4728ea100560.png

Horizon-Zero-Dawn-Sylens.jpg.6c48f472ea22c498d8cf0e88a3b798ce.jpg

40611_normal.jpg.477d8a2e25faa702dbb9fcc935b4fd17.jpg

15488049.jpg.e639537c4f139f239b3bae74ca23df6b.jpg

gjluvycom8u11.png.61e19658b04f2fe1daf01e5f69d3d95a.png

Rost-2.thumb.jpg.ae4ac05b9442f24983faa0b6c02f7c08.jpg

Brom.png.fb6f1a0fef089952cb0fa076e7c8764d.png

Olin.thumb.jpg.17a15f8a701374536c138d64980feecd.jpg

There is no depth, variety nor complexity. No villains that that need feared, no hero's that warrant admiration, nobody entangled in a complex story arc of thier own somewhere in between. Nobody doing the right thing for wrong reason, nobody doing the wrong thing for right reason, nobody struggling with thier own issues and the issues of others. Nobody that has anything memorable nor interesting about them with no complex moral issues addressed as part of thier own story arcs. Nothing like that at all...

... or the far more likely possibly that @m76 is being @m76 again and doesn't want to admit that a game with a sassy, witty, strong female lead with some subtle feminist traits and dialogue makes him uncomfortable, so instead is making a nonsense claim that all the males in HZD were handled like this guy...

df88503c1d10b88257b8a1cf954fe87b1b-14-hemsworth.rsquare_w700.jpg.aecb7b275273857986dfe97b68c780d9.jpg

Along with, of course, the obligatory "By speaking in support of *insert cause* you're actually in opposition to said cause because you're making those you're trying to speak for appear weak.". In other words, bullshit. Sorry, but you have seriously got to revaluate how perceive reality and how that reality is reflected in fiction. Your view's are just warped, so warped you have to warp the fiction to have the world make sense to you, and it's not good. I'm genuinely concerned about you.

Edited by Shagger

On 2/27/2021 at 8:45 PM, killamch89 said:

My list is as follows:

Dying Light (if it comes out this year and RE 8. To be honest, I've hardly seen any upcoming games that have really peeked my interest. All I see is lots of remakes and remasters.

If you are into racing games, then you should look forward to the release of Gran Turismo that's coming up soon.