Register Now
Kane99

Are arcade cabinets on their way back?

With the populariity of 1up arcades and various other arcades on the market, it got me thinking. Do you think this will cause an increase of aracade cabinets to come out? I've always wanted to put a arcade cabinet or two in my home, and now that they're starting to come back, do you think it'd the best time to jump at the oppurtinity? 

Do you think this could bring arcades back even? I doubt it, but I would love to see that happen. 

I mean, they are much cheaper to build these days, and are a lot easier to take care of. But, I still think it'd be cool to have an original arcade cabinet. 

My girl has an original Joust arcade cabinet that I've been working on to restore it back into working order. But like you said, with the 1UP mini-cabinets, I think they're making a small comeback. I don't think there will ever be a resurgence of arcades, but cabinets that you can bring home, are getting the market up somewhat.

On 2/28/2021 at 11:06 AM, The Blackangel said:

My girl has an original Joust arcade cabinet that I've been working on to restore it back into working order. But like you said, with the 1UP mini-cabinets, I think they're making a small comeback. I don't think there will ever be a resurgence of arcades, but cabinets that you can bring home, are getting the market up somewhat.

That's awesome! I've been wanting to get a pac-man or Donkey Kong cabinet, original, but I could only imagine how much something like that would cost. 

And yeah, I have a feeling that's how it'll go. I don't see arcades opening up anytime soon with 1up machines. I think you even need to buy a riser for the 1up cabinets, because they are meant to sit on a table. So they happen to be pretty short compared to original cabinets. 

4 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I'd like one personally but I just don't have the space for it. I've seen others create their own though so I may just attempt it because I have lots of time during quarantine.

I barely have space too. I could possibly fit one in my home, but that is probably it. Then again, I probably have some stuff I can get rid of to make room if I need to. 🙂 

9 hours ago, skyfire said:

I have seen that raspberry pi devices can be made into the arcade games and they can open up new trend of the devices. But not sure if company would take that risk. 

Oh yeah, you can essentially build a cabinet with just a raspberry pi device. Many people have done it. Some will even use a arcade kit that includes the arcade cabinet, controller, etc. 

40 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

The only ones that would be able to play the 1up cabinets to scale like an adult and a full size cabinet would be children and LP’s. But I don’t see anyone building an arcade for 9 year olds or the LP community.

You can get risers that increase its height. Otherwise it's best set up on a table or desk. The risers are kind of pricey though, but you could probably build your own riser too. 

10 hours ago, Kane99 said:

You can get risers that increase its height. Otherwise it's best set up on a table or desk. The risers are kind of pricey though, but you could probably build your own riser too. 

I would just use a couple cement blocks as a riser. They're cheaper, and often times a hell of a lot more sturdy than the shit labeled "riser" or whatever. They weigh 50 pounds (22.7kg) each, so the weight is fairly difficult to work with. But in my eyes, worth it.

And if something breaks, just remember:

DUCT TAPE FIXES EVERYTHING!

Edited by The Blackangel

On 3/3/2021 at 8:13 AM, Kane99 said:

Oh yeah, you can essentially build a cabinet with just a raspberry pi device. Many people have done it. Some will even use a arcade kit that includes the arcade cabinet, controller, etc. 

That is my personal project plan some day. Make complete handheld with linux based game running on raspberry pi linux and used with proper handheld design. 

On 3/3/2021 at 8:14 AM, The Blackangel said:

I would just use a couple cement blocks as a riser. They're cheaper, and often times a hell of a lot more sturdy than the shit labeled "riser" or whatever. They weigh 50 pounds (22.7kg) each, so the weight is fairly difficult to work with. But in my eyes, worth it.

And if something breaks, just remember:

DUCT TAPE FIXES EVERYTHING!

lol I'll keep that in mind. I got enough cement blocks, so I'd be covered there. 🙂 

10 hours ago, skyfire said:

That is my personal project plan some day. Make complete handheld with linux based game running on raspberry pi linux and used with proper handheld design. 

You want to make a handheld version? I want to make an actual arcade cabinet that matches the size of traditional cabinets. I think that would be cool. and would look cool too. 🙂 

On 3/6/2021 at 12:33 PM, skyfire said:

That is ambitious considering big cabinet or rack would be a bit expensive and for person like me who has space issue. That is definitely something I'd keep track of if someone builds that. 

There are several tutorials on how to build your own. It takes a bit of imagination, a bit of craftsman skills and you cna have your very own arcade cabinet with any game you desire.