Register Now
Kane99

Are arcade cabinets on their way back?

I would say there needs to be a big marketing push for the community aspect of arcades. If arcades put more effort into fostering a regular community (weekly low-stakes tournaments, instructional nights, launch events and contest etc), you could see individual locations thriving. But that's more of a marketing thing, and it has to fight tooth and nail against a game culture that has for the most part become comfortable gaming in isolation. But peoples till come out for big tournaments, so there might be something to learn from there.

4 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I just came across the 1up table top arcade and they really aren't that expensive. I think this market could bring back arcades, but who really has the space for more than one of these, especially the standing ones. But can you imagine having a game room with these? 

Last time I saw I thought the prices went up. But idk, maybe i was looking at the wrong site or something. 

But yeah, you need a lot of space for these. I don't even have space myself, but I think I'd make room for at least one or two. But I'd prefer a classic arcade machine over the 1up ones, but still I'll take what I can get. 

On 7/13/2021 at 12:30 PM, Shole said:

They were never gone in touristy places and in Asia, so I think they might just stay as they are and have occasional comebacks to the scene.

Especially in Thai. They are often near the bars and the beach hotels corners. A lot of places have them but malls don't seem to have them much.