Register Now
Knight Plug

Two Silent Hill games are rumoured to be in development...

5 hours ago, Empire said:

I wait till I hear from the real deals rather then leaks 🙂 Even if new silent hill isn't real, we know that the director of the first silent hill and gravity rush is going back to his roots and making a new promising horror, either way can't wait!

And the fact that Konami won't be making it makes it a decent game already. I wish Konami would've gone the way of THQ instead of THQ going out of business. It's always the crappiest companies that always survive.

Seeing as how they were already outsourcing the games after they split up Team Silent, I don't know why they've left the series alone for this long. My guess is that the bad blood between Konami and Hideo Kojima had to fizzle down first, which has taken quite a few years. But with how Capcom has handled the RE series, and the recognition they're getting nowadays, I thought Konami would have tried to do something to rebound. You know? Capitalize on what's happening in this genre. Yet I've never really considered Capcom and Konami to be rivals, nor do I get the frequent comparisons online. They're both a survival horror series, but they are drastically different.

Some people say the genre is stale and has a limited fanbase. But I disagree. Horror games, if done right, can be fantastic with a 2021 take on it. However, I want two things to be ignored. That being remakes and first person. It's just that I like neither. A "soft reboot" is okay, because you can make something new without fully ignoring the legacy of that particular franchise. But doing remakes and whatnot, just feels lazy. It's like if there's already a story they can use, it's like they can sort of cheat their way through the development stages. Do you know what I mean? 

Anyway, this summer should be a hot one indeed! 

Another thing that people overlook, is that Hideo Kojima did not begin the series. So many people on the Internet give the man way too much praise. It was Team Silent who created the bulk of the franchise, but these developers then left during or after 2004. 😛

Yeah, I heard Konami is interested in getting other studios to produce Silent Hill, and other Konami properties. There's a topic about this here on the forums - Konami Games losses are so bad that they're open to other studios making MGS, Silent Hill Etc. Games

6 hours ago, thesaunderschild said:

Another thing that people overlook, is that Hideo Kojima did not begin the series. So many people on the Internet give the man way too much praise. It was Team Silent who created the bulk of the franchise, but these developers then left during or after 2004. 😛

Oh yeah. I don't think he even had anything to do with Team Silent. Kojima didn't get involved until PT came around if I remember correctly. I think there was a time where they had him help with something, but I might be wrong on that. 

But yeah, Kojima would be awesome for a Silent Hill game, but I don't see it happening. 

The game he did was basically just a demo, that was intended to hype up the real thing. However, the demo was never going to be a part of the eventual game. Just like the Maiden demo for RE8 is just to showcase the crappy gameplay, which we have already seen in better games over the years. Walking simulator, much?

Anyway, we will NEVER know what the actual Silent Hills game was gonna end up being like, so I don't see why people on YouTube and whatnot, always have the need to say it "saved" the franchise, when the game got cancelled by Konami themselves. Therefore, it doesn't even apply here.

Since that time, we've had to rely on random hearsay from users like Dusk Golem to give us something to debate over. Otherwise, the series is just essentially another dead franchise. One of many. These stories on the Internet about the series supposedly returning are inclined to get annoying, because until Konami actually reveals that a new game, or potentially two games, is in the pipeline, it's hard to maintain much hope. 

So Hideo Kojima, in all honesty, had zilch to do with the franchise becoming the household name it is in the world of survival horror. People just praised his butt because of his reputation with all of the other games he worked on beforehand, like the Metal Gear Solid franchise. But believe me when I say that Team Silent deserves to have all of the glory here. They worked their asses off to make these games special, and for Konami to eventually disband them in support of horror games becoming more about action, it's clear they just seen dollar signs in their eyes. Just like with Capcom today. In fact, Capcom has been doing this since like, 2005. Gradually, yet evidently. 

It's fine to like a person's work, but never give praise to anyone where that praise has little merit. You know? Konami had been releasing a lot of games in the series, way before Hideo Kojima started to work on a new installment. 

RE4 is basically overrated garbage. As a general game, it's not bad. But calling it a real RE game is just laughable. I've never personally felt the plot in that game nor the gameplay overall, was worth tossing over either. Especially since it doesn't even have anything to do with the lore established up to that point in time. All you do is shoot villagers and zealots. There's no major atmospheric moments. There's a couple, I guess. But it's just very platonic in nature. RE5 and 6 are worse, but RE6 did improve the control system. 

Really, though. RE8 looks to be doing the same precise thing. It's also set in a village with enemies featured throughout, that are not actually typically seen in any older RE titles. And there's a castle you visit, and the standard casual jump scares, exploration, a few easy as pish, simplistic puzzles, and a heavy emphasis on shooting and looting, as well as upgrading your equipment. It's just more of what they've been doing now, for years. It's not even innovative in any way, shape, or form. As a matter of fact, all these idiots online care more about, is how attractive Alcina, the lady vampire, is. Probably more than the actual gameplay and story. It just makes no sense. But like I said, Capcom knows that people support whatever games they make regardless of whether things make logical sense or not.

Go watch the promotional stuff. All the producer does is shill about how beautiful and immersive the game is. But it hardly even looks that new. It's all just things he says a lot to get people excited for, what I suspect, will be a mediocre, and all around, convuluted experience. But that's just my opinions. Give or take, I've noticed that Capcom loves to milk this franchise into the ground.

On 3/3/2021 at 11:58 PM, thesaunderschild said:

Go watch the promotional stuff. All the producer does is shill about how beautiful and immersive the game is. But it hardly even looks that new.

I think this is same effect as the one we noticed with cyberpunk. if you watch the promo long enough and game takes longer to come out. eventually novelty gets deserted and people start to not like it even without playing it. 

At least in the Silent Hill games, we normally got a new storyline and a new protagonist, practically each time. The advantage to that was it stayed fresh, but at the same time, it sort of withdrew from the faults of the previous entry. Well, sometimes anyway. Some of these sequels still had their bad points as well. 

In fact, Silent Hill 3 is more or less the only sequel that even delivered as a true sequel, as it was about Heather, the girl who was the baby at the end of the first game, adopted by Harry Mason. That same cult later killed Harry in his house if you remember, so that Heather would fall into their trap by venturing out to Silent Hill to try to avenge his murder. But the other games were primarily unrelated in terms of what was going on in them.

OK. So the second game has a news piece concerning 4's antagonist, but you know what I mean. They were never really linked like actual sequels usually are.  They were just their own thing, I guess you could say. 

The thing with Resident Evil though, is that the stories are supposed to be somewhat more interconnected, giving how Umbrella started doing all of these experiments and viruses, and so on and so forth. And yes, it's obviously more of a commercial franchise too, with the emphasis on action. But I swear, the plot now is so disjointed.

Like, I am not even kidding here. Just about every game that Capcom makes now just makes an even bigger mess of the general timeline, because they end it in such a way that implies a continuation will occur, but then the next game is about something else entirely. It's as if they just make up stories that feature the main characters, just to like continue padding it out. You know? But it hardly even makes any sense anymore. Giving how it's a series that now has vampire women and fat merchants, which certainly rings true. Oh my Lord. 

But anyway, hopefully we will hear some important news this summer. Listen out for the sirens... 

2 hours ago, thesaunderschild said:

Like, I am not even kidding here. Just about every game that Capcom makes now just makes an even bigger mess of the general timeline, because they end it in such a way that implies a continuation will occur, but then the next game is about something else entirely.

If you think capcom is like that then what is square enix doing with final fantasy? lol.. a lot of game dev studios are like this. 

On 3/5/2021 at 1:29 AM, skyfire said:

If you think capcom is like that then what is square enix doing with final fantasy? lol.. a lot of game dev studios are like this. 

Final Fantasy's timeline really doesn't make any sense and most of the sequels have no real connection to each other. In Final Fantasy 8, there isn't any mention of anything regarding the events of FF7.

Yep. That's what I was getting at here as well. 

In most of the Silent Hill games, you get to find notes that yield references, but the plot is otherwise primarily its own thing. Save for the third game, which is intended to be a sequel to the original. 

In the RE universe though, the games originally had a common link with each sequel for many years, with Umbrella, the members of STARS, and whatnot, all being involved. But after RE4, the series became incredibly bizarre, and the games hardly feel connected anymore. But I think that Capcom doesn't care about any of that stuff anyway. The games still get that cash flowing in regardless. But generally speaking, the darn franchise is really convuluted now, and kind of silly in some manner.

What do you think? Are you right into that fat merchant? He's so deliberately big, that it's just laughable when people like to say this is good for the longevity of the franchise. 🤓