Register Now
Shagger

Is it just me, or is MGS5 a lot harder than other MGS games?

I had put off playing this game for a long time because Fuckonami, but finally started playing this game for the first time as the deluxe edition was going dirt cheap on PSN. I've played all the previous major MGS titles, and I don't know if I'm just getting old and stupid, but this game feels alot harder that the previous installments to me.

I'm not classing it as a problem nor a complaint, merely an observation. There are things I like about this game, others not so much. I'll reserve judgment until I've beaten the game, just this has surprised me. The checkpoint system is really frustrating, especially on side-ops', and I actually would say that's an issue, but everything is just that much harder than I've found in the past. Did anyone else find the game to be that way?

Edited by Shagger

I couldn't get into the newest MGS. I think the open world change kind of put me off, as previous games were mostly linear story driven games. I played it for a while, but just couldn't push myself to get back to it. As well, I felt like the controls were kind of clunky at times. Snake just didn't feel fun to control for me either. idk what it was. 

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I couldn't get into the newest MGS. I think the open world change kind of put me off, as previous games were mostly linear story driven games. I played it for a while, but just couldn't push myself to get back to it. As well, I felt like the controls were kind of clunky at times. Snake just didn't feel fun to control for me either. idk what it was. 

You're not wrong about the controls, it's not intuitive or user friendly at all. I think the problem is that so many mechanisms and movement options have been added to MGS over the years that now every button dose a million things as per the situation. So, for example, you try to  "bloon" something or someone away, but end up climbing up onto said object or a neerby ledge instead. It really isn't an easy game to control.

I've had the same problem with the controls in that game. Hand to hand combat was weird, and trying to catch someone to interrogate or knock out, I couldn't quite get the hang of it. I often would flat out dive on my belly when trying to do something else. Then the silencer on the weapon wears off and so long for stealth at that point. And what's up with the box to hide in???

34 minutes ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I've had the same problem with the controls in that game. Hand to hand combat was weird, and trying to catch someone to interrogate or knock out, I couldn't quite get the hang of it. I often would flat out dive on my belly when trying to do something else. Then the silencer on the weapon wears off and so long for stealth at that point. And what's up with the box to hide in???

You're kidding, right? The box has been a staple of MGS since the beginning. 

Everything else you're spot on about, though. It is genuinely a very difficult game to control. One thing that drives me nuts us the button to gallop on the horce or dash on the walker. Why on earth is it mapped to a different control that sprint button when you're on foot. And it's square (I'm on a PS4) and it just feels weird. 

14 minutes ago, Shagger said:

You're kidding, right? The box has been a staple of MGS since the beginning. 

The only other one I played was MGS 2. And the controls were clunky then too. Guess I never got far enough to hide in a box. So you can imagine how an outsider like me perceives it. For a game like that, I would think a camo leaves and branches suit would be more appropriate. But a box? If that was a thing, it's just funny to me. 

11 hours ago, Shagger said:

You're not wrong about the controls, it's not intuitive or user friendly at all. I think the problem is that so many mechanisms and movement options have been added to MGS over the years that now every button dose a million things as per the situation. So, for example, you try to  "bloon" something or someone away, but end up climbing up onto said object or a neerby ledge instead. It really isn't an easy game to control.

Also if I remember correctly, there was a lot of menus and stuff you had to mess with. It felt like too much was being thrown at me, so that was another reason for me. 

2 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

The only other one I played was MGS 2. And the controls were clunky then too. Guess I never got far enough to hide in a box. So you can imagine how an outsider like me perceives it. For a game like that, I would think a camo leaves and branches suit would be more appropriate. But a box? If that was a thing, it's just funny to me. 

Oh yeah, the box is a huge thing about MGS. I would use the box often in the second and 3rd game to hide from enemies. I think MGS5 added other options, like the ability to put up a carboard standup of yourself to distract enemies. Fun stuff like that. 

Honestly, in my opinion, 4 is a bit harder than 5 although 5 had a more open surrounding so you have to be on guard at all times. In MGS 4, the enemies tend to use tactics far more especially in close-quarter encounters. The thing with MGS 5 is that the enemies tend to have a greater field of vision so they can spot from some pretty tight angles. I understand why you'd think 5 is harder because most times you have to use the cover of darkness or depend on things like sandstorms to have any kind of advantage on your enemies. Once you're in their base, you can just set up in an area and completely wreck all the guards.