Register Now
Kane99

Fall Guys dev team bought by Epic Games

Well I didn't see this coming, but I guess it makes sense. Epic Games has purchased up Fall Guys dev team Mediatonic. The good news though, is that Fall Guys is still coming to the Nintendo Switch as planned. But no news on whether future content from Mediatonic would be on other consoles. But, I could see it happening considering their top game is Fortnite and that's on literally everything these days. 

Source - Nintendo Link

20 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

The good news though, is that Fall Guys is still coming to the Nintendo Switch as planned.

I'd say the good news is that they've got some job security, but sure, good to know the Switch is getting another good game (albeit 3 seasons too late). Mediatonic never anticipated Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout doing as well as it did, and they only have a few noteworthy entries in a catalogue of ports and tie-ins, so I'm pleased to know they might get some respectable work with Epic's funding. One can only hope they're not dehumanised as "bodies" and thrown into the meat-grinder that has become Fortnite's update schedule.

Edited by Withywarlock

3 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

I'd say the good news is that they've got some job security, but sure, good to know the Switch is getting another good game (albeit 3 seasons too late). Mediatonic never anticipated Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout doing as well as it did, and they only have a few noteworthy entries in a catalogue of ports and tie-ins, so I'm pleased to know they might get some respectable work with Epic's funding. One can hope they're not dehumanised as "bodies" and thrown into the meat-grinder that has become Fortnite's update schedule.

I hope it turns out to be a good move for them. With more funding behind them, I hope they produce something great after Fall Guys. I don't see Fall Guys being that popular for much longer. But maybe they have something new in store for us soon. 

Fall Guys could have been so much better than it was. The original trailer got me so excited for it but when I came to play it, it was just a boring, repetitive flop. It took several minutes to get into a game even at its peak. The map selection was disappointing and it often selected the same ones over and over again.

I feel like they've sold out because they couldn't figure out how to continue to capitalise on a great idea. They've wasted a great opportunity by half-assing what could have been the party game to play. EGS will always have a stigma attached to it for me and for that reason I have yet to give them a penny. Their aggressive acquisition and exclusivity tactics are anti-consumer and any competition that EGS provides is massively offset by their questionable strategy.

I can't really blame anyone for taking the cash, I'd do it in a heartbeat but the way they go about things really grates on me. What they did to Rocket League is a shame and the game hasn't been the same since the acquisition.