Register Now
Kane99

Did you ever play a Magnavox Odyssey?

I mostly had consoles from the NES days up, but I didn't really own anything before the NES. Does anyone here own the first console ever made, The Magnavox Odyssey? All I know about the console, is that it came out in 78 and used overlays on a screen. I watched some videos about it in the past, and for its time it must have been revolutionary. It kind of looks like a cool console. Looks very 70s though. 

1920px-Magnavox-Odyssey-Console-Set.jpg

This is what it looked like being played. I believe it played pong like games, so to change it up, you'd buy overlays to put over your tv screen. So instead of pong, you can pretend you're playing soccer lol. Back then it was probably revolutionary. Basically it didn't do much. But hey, first console made is still impressive. 

odyssey.jpg

On 3/4/2021 at 7:23 AM, Empire said:

To young, was not even born back in those days 😛 And even growing up. I never had that device in the household. 

That's fair lol 😄 Same here. I was born in 89, so I just got into games during the NES/SNES time. I think one of my uncles had a Magnavox Odyssey that was in their shed for years. I should have grabbed it back when he let me go through it. I regret not doing that. 

13 hours ago, Kane99 said:

That's fair lol 😄 Same here. I was born in 89, so I just got into games during the NES/SNES time. I think one of my uncles had a Magnavox Odyssey that was in their shed for years. I should have grabbed it back when he let me go through it. I regret not doing that. 

Lucky you, I remember that days when PS1 came out and did not have a PS2 till my brother was born and a little older. I had mostly old PCs on my young age, I mean VERY old PCs. Was brought up with family that are not into gaming and tech. 

I forgot about those damn screen stickers. That’s what I called them anyway. There seemed to be a million of them, and you had to use a different one for every game. It was more of a game to get the damn thing to stay on the TV than it was to run the system. 3M was raking it in amongst the gaming world due to how much Scotch tape was being used to hold those frickin screen stickers in place.

I never had the privilege of playing with Magnavox Odyssey. I have only read about it and seen it in pictures and video but never in real time. I wouldn't mind giving it a try if I have the opportunity. Atari 2600 was the oldest I played with.