Register Now
Kane99

Do you think Starlink will be sustainable for game streaming (Stadia/Lunu/etc)

For those who are unaware, Starlink is a new internet provider that is made by Elon Musk and team at SpaceX. It will utilize a ton of satellites that they plan to put up in space, which is supposed to give you the ability to get internet pretty much everywhere. This means areas with no internet, could have some form of internet. Now, I saw a video on Starlink by Linus Tech Tips, and he said you can stream 4k content and play games, but it's not the best experience. But that's not the point, it will give people all over the world a stable connection. 

Anyway, this brings me to the game streaming platforms, like Amazon Luna and Google Stadia. There are others, but these two seem to get the most coverage right now. Anyway, do you think these services could work with Starlink? I'm going to guess no, because of the way game streaming runs, it needs a constant stable connection, and with Starlink I don't think you will get that. You can play games, but it isn't perfect, so I can only imagine it being even worse on starlink. 

But, who knows, maybe Starlink will get so good, that streaming games would be no problem. But what do you guys think?

as far as i know, cloud gaming is all on fast internet relying, so i don't think that people will be facing any issues when having satellite internet, the issue with satellite internet at general is the high ping, which i don't think it will be needed when gaming on cloud (nice expressions xD)

Starlink has far more work ahead of it before it's even passable for cloud gaming. In addition to that, the price is ridiculously steep so it'll take at least 3 more years before it can be passable for cloud/internet gaming. I think the price is something like $600 USD which some people from other countries around the world (especially third world) won't be able to afford.

On 3/9/2021 at 11:16 PM, Syntax said:

I’m not sure about the latency, but if it works how it’s supposed to, it might be a pretty good option. 

That's kind of the problem though. It's way slower than regular internet for a far higher price. I imagine that in 10 years, it'll probably be a good option for gaming almost anywhere but right now it's running at slightly above dial-up speeds.