Register Now
Kane99

Why are Elgato streaming devices so pricey?

I've been wanting to pick up one of those Elgato streaming boxes to stream console based games, but it's like $150 and I can't be bothered. Plus I figure I could just stream my PC gameplays and just forget about consoles for now. 

Are there any alternatives to the Elgato devices? 

Same, as soon as I think that I have the money to get one, I have to pay for other things or in my case hardware fails and have to get replacments. Cheap option to buy a simple 16 keys addon keyboard for $10 or more then download a Elgato free software (can get a phone app) and program the keys 🙂 

Or have a tablet/phone and use a software and then bang. 

3 hours ago, Empire said:

Same, as soon as I think that I have the money to get one, I have to pay for other things or in my case hardware fails and have to get replacments. Cheap option to buy a simple 16 keys addon keyboard for $10 or more then download a Elgato free software (can get a phone app) and program the keys 🙂 

Or have a tablet/phone and use a software and then bang. 

And it seems like they're going up in prices too. Last time I saw it was like $150, and now they're starting to go up in price like $160+. 

I could buy their capture card for PC, but even that is pricey. But, I suppose streaming from my PC will have to do. 

For the quality they offer and for the popularity they have, Elgato been around since pretty long that people don't literally know any other brand that offers same services lol, so they couldn't come across some cheaper alternatives

Elgato is a good company, I have not seen any other that came up with there ideas and what they can do, end of the day theere aim is for streamers and support streamers with there products.

16 hours ago, Kane99 said:

And it seems like they're going up in prices too. Last time I saw it was like $150, and now they're starting to go up in price like $160+. 

I could buy their capture card for PC, but even that is pricey. But, I suppose streaming from my PC will have to do. 

Yeah, they just got three more new items out, $99 and also $60 for RGB strip lights. I thought about buying it but pay each month till the cost is completed. But they do not offer that at times on amazon. 

Have you looked into AVerMedia? They are another company who make capture cards and they are quite affordable. I myself have an Elgato HD60S which I have had now for around 4 years with no issues, but I do have friends who stream console games that use the AVerMedia capture card and they have not had any issues with it and say it's great as a more affordable capture card. If anything were to happen to my HD60S, AVerMedia would be the company I go with next for sure.

32 minutes ago, Shortie said:

Have you looked into AVerMedia? They are another company who make capture cards and they are quite affordable. I myself have an Elgato HD60S which I have had now for around 4 years with no issues, but I do have friends who stream console games that use the AVerMedia capture card and they have not had any issues with it and say it's great as a more affordable capture card. If anything were to happen to my HD60S, AVerMedia would be the company I go with next for sure.

I've heard of AverMedia, will have to check out their capture cards/devices then. I wouldn't mind getting an Elgato one, mainly because I imagine they're easier to use. But I suppose it's time I move to an alternative and see what AverMedia has to offer. 

On 3/22/2021 at 11:04 PM, killamch89 said:

Elgato does provide a very good service. Pricey? - yes, Quality? - Also a big yes, It's just like the premium price you pay for the Samsung Galaxy S or Note line or the iPhone.

That's fair. 

On 10/30/2021 at 12:08 AM, skyfire said:

There must be chinese based products but not sure if I could google that. I think elgato devices are good too, not sure if they are premium priced etc. But seems good. 

I've seen a few on my searches, but I don't know if I want to pick up some random chinese capture card or device, because there's a big risk that it messes up my consoles or PC.