Register Now
Patrik

Games that gave birth to other Games

Lot of games from our childhood have disappeared but what people noticed is that other similar series (from the same old game's company) took over instead.

Examples :

Driver -> Watch Dogs

Prince of Persia -> Assassin's Creed

True Crime -> Sleeping Dogs

What other games you think that they were the reason behind the existence of current popular games?

FF8 led to an actual physical Triple Triad card game. It didn't last too long, as it wasn't very popular outside the game. But you can still buy the cards on eBay for a reasonable price most of the time, if you're not looking for the highest level cards like the character cards such as Zell, Squall, and Edea.

Edited by The Blackangel

21 minutes ago, Empire said:

GTA series that can be based of real locations on maps that also gave story's to the next series of the GTA based games, well in my mind anyway 😛 what do you think? 

we're still in the GTA loop here :D, we are talking about whole different games :P

Well, Metal Gear Solid gave birth to Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, which was a completely different direction Metal Gear Solid is known for. It was also done by someone else at Konami and not Kojima. But, it's an interesting game in the series that I think is worth checking out. 

1 hour ago, Empire said:

GTA series that can be based of real locations on maps that also gave story's to the next series of the GTA based games, well in my mind anyway 😛 what do you think? 

Yeah, GTA doesn't really qualify, as it was its own game. I guess you could say the original GTA top down, gave birth to the 3D GTA series. But I think the topic is more meant to discuss different games that were born from a past game. 

On 3/9/2021 at 9:26 PM, m76 said:

How the heck did driver gave birth to watchdogs? I've never seen that comparison ever made.

well, they were supposed to keep releasing more Driver games till they changed their mind and made Sleeping Dogs instead

20 hours ago, Patrik said:

well, they were supposed to keep releasing more Driver games till they changed their mind and made Sleeping Dogs instead

Strange because on the reflections page watch dogs is listed as games developed by them, but if you go to the game's page it says it was developed by ubisoft toronto.

Just now, m76 said:

Strange because on the reflections page watch dogs is listed as games developed by them, but if you go to the game's page it says it was developed by ubisoft toronto.

well, you can't discover that directly due to the massive partnerships and complicated stuff that game studios do, but here is a more explaining blog about that 

https://www.ign.com/articles/watch-dogs-was-originally-a-driver-game-claims-new-report

On 3/10/2021 at 8:18 PM, killamch89 said:

D&D - Skyrim, Final Fantasy

Top Gear - Need For Speed

Castlevania - Devil May Cry

Mad Max - Twisted Metal

Armored Core - Zone Of The Enders

Actually, Skyrim and Final Fantasy have no connection to D&D which has it's own games connecting to it such as Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter.

Need for Speed started out as it's own, new IP developed by EA themselves before Criterion Games, the developers of Burnout took over in 2010. So, at least modern NFS games, owe their existence to Burnout more than anything else.

Devil May Cry has no connection to Castlevania. DMC was Capcom, whereas Castlevania was Komani. DMC actually started out in development as a Resident Evil game, but the developers realized that where they going and wanted to go was to far off what Resident Evil was about, so released the game as a new IP instead. So it was Resident Evil that gave birth to DMC, not Castlevania.

Edited by Shagger