Register Now
Kane99

Germany may restrict games with loot boxes to adults

Hell yes! According to Engadget, Germany might block games from being purchased by miners if there is any loot boxes in game. So this means, that any games that do have it, may be forced to up their rating. I don't know how Germany's rating system works, but if this happened in the states, it would probably render games M rated because of this. That would be a big blow to anyone doing loot boxes. 

I think this needs to happen everywhere. Because it's clear that kids these days still make the mistake of buying stuff by 'accident'. And no matter how you put it, buying loot boxes is essentially gambling, and I'm pretty sure in many states it's illegal to even gamble. I'm kind of surprised the US hasn't took this more seriously. It helps having countries like Germany jumping to take action. 

59 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

purchased by miners

Minor mistake there, Kane. XD

59 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

I don't know how Germany's rating system works, but if this happened in the states, it would probably render games M rated because of this.

It could be AO (Adults Only), which ratings authorities tend not to dole out because retailers can't push those games. This to me feels like a conflict of interests, that ratings boards can't give our accurate scores because they align more with the subject they're rating rather than the people they're supposed to 'protect'.

Honestly, I'm rather glad for this news. I appreciate the argument for governments not stepping in to regulate the games industry, but the authorities who were supposed to do so didn't. They've had years to curb their avarice after so many warnings from people who have no business being this correct (i.e me) and chose not to, which is all within the rules of the system many Western countries and governments adopt.

Edited by Withywarlock

On 3/10/2021 at 2:40 AM, skyfire said:

We need to call these loot boxes as gambling from now on. And so the trend of them could eventually die as well. Loot boxes are ,entering the market using the terms like fantasy games, betting games etc. 

That's very true - or we could call it surprise mechanics! Seriously though, it should be seen as another form of gambling and the same rules apply to those games. It would decrease their inclusion in games.