Register Now
Kane99

What are the only things that get you to pre-order a game?

Most of us here I imagine don't pre-order games that often. Last game I pre-ordered was GTA V on the 360, and that was the day of release, so idk if I would count that lol. But, I know some people also like to get a special edition set, and I guess I can understand that. But often times, you don't even need to pre-order those. But, what about the games that give you a little something extra when you pre-order?

I think it's only worth pre-ordering, when you get an extra thing along with it. Like a figure, a poster, an art book, etc. I feel pre-ordering otherwise, is pointless, because they will produce enough games anyway. 

Nowadays, nothing. No matter the studio, publisher or circumstances could drive me to do it because I can't hold the belief pre-ordering damages the industry whilst partaking in it, even if I'm just one person, like all the other people who pre-order.

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved that Fallout: New Vegas collector's edition from Argos with the poker set, even if I didn't much like the game at the time. It's incredibly hard to get today, never mind at a decent price. Alas, for every New Vegas there's about 72 Evolves with their own unwanted statue editions.

It's a good job every game somehow manages to net a Game of the Year (GOTY) award because whatever rubbish it came with pre-release gets flogged for pennies on digital storefronts a year later.

I pre-order every game I'm convinced will be worth playing. It makes very little difference whether I pre-order or simply buy the game on release. I'm not going to read reviews of games I already decided to play, because I Consider everything a spoiler, even things unrelated to the story.  And it's often easier to get a better deal on games if I pre-order. For example I could pre-order Cyberpunk 2077 for $40. But I'd have gotten my money's worth even if I paid $60 for it. Despite everyone screaming about how awful it was. Same thing for Mass Effect Andromeda, I was actually lucky that I pre-ordered that game, because based on the backlash it got I'd have skipped it, but that would've been a mistake, it was a pretty good and memorable game.

So I've learned to only listen to my own instincts when deciding on what games to buy. Yes, somatimes I've made mistakes, I've bought games that I Didn't like as much, but not pre-ordering would not have helped there, as some of the games I dislike are praised to high heavens, while ones I like are received poorly.

Edited by m76

I do not pre-order, I mean i'm only into the game and not what it comes with it 🙂 I mean if it comes with extra DLCs and content for the game then maybe yes. But I rather wait till I get a cheaper deal and save  money. I might only pre-orded games twice in my life of being here LOL 

After my experience with Star Wars Battlefront, nothing on Earth will ever make me pre-order a single item again. I was thinking about breaking that vow for Cyberpunk 2077 but I was glad I stuck to my guns because look at the disaster that game has been. I don't really care about exclusive features and other little gimmicks but I prioritize getting my money's worth so I wait for reviews and then I make a decision.

I just think with pre-orders, there's nothing really worth pre-ordering for. Because I can buy the game day one no problem. But, I think when they make an incentive to pre-order, like a physical item. That's the only time I would ever pre-order, and even than I don't usually pre-order lol. 

Also, I would never pre-order to get some extra DLC or DLC items. It has to be a physical item at least. 

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I just think with pre-orders, there's nothing really worth pre-ordering for. Because I can buy the game day one no problem. But, I think when they make an incentive to pre-order, like a physical item. That's the only time I would ever pre-order, and even than I don't usually pre-order lol. 

Also, I would never pre-order to get some extra DLC or DLC items. It has to be a physical item at least. 

Like the items that Fallout 76 gave to those that pre-ordered except the items were cheaply made and were shipped after months of backlash...In my opinion, it's just not worth it nowadays. It's like playing russian roulette when pre-ordering AAA games and praying they actually deliver.

3 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

For the game to actually good and worth the hype. Though that is such a rare thing these days and seems like most games need sometime in the wild to be brought up to useable standards. 

It's only on rare occasions that these gaming companies go to an extra mile to make something memorable for gaming fans. 

On 8/5/2021 at 2:49 PM, Heatman said:

As far as I'm concerned right now, I'm not sure if there anything that would be a good reason to lure me into pre-ordering any video games now. 

Preordering videogames right now is like putting a loaded shotgun to your leg and squeezing the trigger and pray that the gun jams so that you don't lose that leg.

11 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Preordering videogames right now is like putting a loaded shotgun to your leg and squeezing the trigger and pray that the gun jams so that you don't lose that leg.

Haha, that's one of the best luck in the world if it actually happens. More like playing Russian roulette.