Register Now
Kane99

Do you ever feel overwhelmed to jump back into a game?

I have this feeling often with some games. Sometimes I get tired of playing a game, and shelve it for a while. But, when I try to come back to it, I always feel overwhelmed or scared to jump back in for some reason. It's a weird feeling, I know. But it's been that way my whole life. For example, I didn't touch MGS 2 for a long time after first playing it, because I felt like I would be overwhelmed jumping back into it. I don't have the feeling as much these days, but I think it ties into the gameplay more than anything. 

Have you ever had this feeling when it comes to playing some games? It's tough to explain, as I don't understand why I even feel that way about games sometimes. But I think it's like anxiety playing a tough game. But like I said, I think it has to do with bad controls in the past, and me not wanting to deal with that. 

I'm doubting anyone here has had this sort of feeling with games, but maybe I'm wrong? 

It's not that I feel scared of it, it's that sometimes the games have specific mechanics that are not self-explanatory, and I already forgot how things worked in the game then it is hard to get into the rhythm of it again.

It happened more than once after jumping back into a game that I did not realize some feature or function even existed and finished the game without it.

It sounds like burn out to me. You get bored with a game to the point that you just don't want anything to do with it for a long time. That happens to me a lot, even with my absolute favorite games. There's a few that I haven't played in years, because I'm still burnt out on them. For example I can't even remember the last time I played any Mega Man game.

Sometimes I think "I keep going back to skyrim and spending hours upon hours on it, I should try something else". Then I remember I'm having fun so what does it matter?

If you feel gaming is a chore, something needs to change. I had a backlog of about a dozen games on my ps3. I finished a few that I knew I'd love and once I'd done that the ones I knew would be ok but not amazing, or ones I'd half played and don't feel like finishing all started looking boring and are stacked up and waiting to head to the game store to be traded in for one or two games (probably far cry 4). That means ONE new game to play that I'm certain I'll enjoy more than the entire stack that looked more and more like a chore.

20 hours ago, m76 said:

It's not that I feel scared of it, it's that sometimes the games have specific mechanics that are not self-explanatory, and I already forgot how things worked in the game then it is hard to get into the rhythm of it again.

It happened more than once after jumping back into a game that I did not realize some feature or function even existed and finished the game without it.

That's kind of how I feel. Like with the MGS games back then, I think getting the controls down was always an issue. It's kind of the same way I won't play old horror games with tank controls, because I feel anxiety because of it. And I know that's the intended purpose, but it's not just with horror games. It's with any games where I probably don't want to relearn all the stuff I already did. 

It's often that I do want to play the games, it's just that something stops me from jumping back into it. 

1 hour ago, The Blackangel said:

It sounds like burn out to me. You get bored with a game to the point that you just don't want anything to do with it for a long time. That happens to me a lot, even with my absolute favorite games. There's a few that I haven't played in years, because I'm still burnt out on them. For example I can't even remember the last time I played any Mega Man game.

I don't know if it'd be burn out for me. I want to play the games, it's just that for some reason I can't push myself to do it. m76 brought up a good point, I think it has to do with the controls or certain aspect of the game that I don't want to revisit maybe. Some of the games I just get bored of, but I rarely bother coming back to those. 

There are games I want to play, but I usually push it off because of mechanics in the game, or maybe even a challenging aspect that I could never get used to. 

Maybe it's based off of how tough a game is too. 

Resident Evil 7 always does this to me and it typically stems from the fact of how frightening and difficult the game is. Especially with limited ammo. On top of that, the usually tons of health aids from previous games is also severely limited.

2 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Resident Evil 7 always does this to me and it typically stems from the fact of how frightening and difficult the game is. Especially with limited ammo. On top of that, the usually tons of health aids from previous games is also severely limited.

YES! This is one reason why I have never touched these games. RE7 looks like a pain to control. The controls look sluggish and slow. As well, your character looks like he doesn't move fast enough. Maybe I just am a lazy gamer and want games to be easy, idk lol. 

On 3/9/2021 at 2:18 PM, m76 said:

Some of the more elaborate control systems of games are easy to get that issue. For example, with RDR2, literally every button on the PS4 controller is used. If there's a spot that can be pushed, it has a function in the game. Some of the functions in game require you to press and/or hold more than one button at a time. If you go for too long of a period without playing it, you will forget literally more than half of what the controls do and how to use them. As I've said before, learning the controls in that game is a bitch.

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

YES! This is one reason why I have never touched these games. RE7 looks like a pain to control. The controls look sluggish and slow. As well, your character looks like he doesn't move fast enough. Maybe I just am a lazy gamer and want games to be easy, idk lol. 

Actually the controls in recent RE games are pretty smooth and responsive. It's just how terrifying the game is that keeps me from just jumping back into it immediately - I have to mentally prep myself. In addition to that, the family of zombies are some pretty tough enemies and ammo is scarce so running away is the option most of the time.

Sometimes I have to dedicate some time to jump back in a game that I know I really don't want to sit there and relearn everything. That's a bit overwhelming to go and learn the controls again, practice a bit, and read tutorials, story summaries, characters, etc. I sometimes even have to do that if I haven't played a game for just a week. Especially if its a newer game I started. That's one good thing about having limited GB in my ps4. It forces me to stick to a game and finish so I can download another game. My memory is currently full. SOB!!! 

On 3/19/2021 at 7:27 PM, Reality vs Adventure said:

Sometimes I have to dedicate some time to jump back in a game that I know I really don't want to sit there and relearn everything. That's a bit overwhelming to go and learn the controls again, practice a bit, and read tutorials, story summaries, characters, etc. I sometimes even have to do that if I haven't played a game for just a week. Especially if its a newer game I started. That's one good thing about having limited GB in my ps4. It forces me to stick to a game and finish so I can download another game. My memory is currently full. SOB!!! 

I hate the part where you have to relearn which abilities work best against which enemies and what moves to combo together to deal massive amounts of damage. I was re-playing Final Fantasy tactics on an emulator and that's the first thing that really got on my nerves.