Register Now
Kane99

Putting Doors in Video Games Is a Nightmare, Say Developers

Well I never saw that coming, but I guess doors are notoriously tough to code in games. I guess it makes sense, considering it also has to move, and be intractable, etc. I think that's why games like the newer RE games, have doors that just push open when you run into them. Maybe that's a work around? IGN did an article about devs working on doors, and you can read that here - IGN

This is a whine, nothing more. devs nowadays are whiny crybabies, trying to collect sympathy points on how hard their job is. I just laugh at these posts and view them with utter contempt.

There is no unsolvable problem in coding, just incompetent coders.

Edited by m76

37 minutes ago, m76 said:

This is a whine, nothing more. devs nowadays are whiny crybabies, trying to collect sympathy points on how hard their job is. I just laugh at these posts and view them with utter contempt.

There is no unsolvable problem in coding, just incompetent coders.

Do you know how to develop games? I can't imagine it's rocket science, but I also can't imagine it's something super easy to do either. 

3 hours ago, Syntax said:

I can see why they say that, but I feel like it’s worth it if they add the realism to the game. Otherwise many just have you push down doors as if they were locked for example. 

Look back at the days where doors didn't even work, and just progressed to a loading screen. Like how it is in older Resident Evil games and some of the Silent Hill games. 

11 minutes ago, Kane99 said:

Do you know how to develop games? I can't imagine it's rocket science, but I also can't imagine it's something super easy to do either.

Yes, I do. But it's not relevant to the point I was making. I don't see any other professionals whine so much about their jobs on social media, or in general as game developers.

Their job is made out to be the hardest ever, by people like Jason Scherier. It's not. For starters Movie VFX gigs are much tougher. You don't like the crunch in gaming? VFX is literally crunch for life.

As for doors, I think it is a very interesting and fun problem to have, as a coder myself, it's a challenge I'd love to tackle. I feel embarrassed because of these whiny loosers, to call myself a coder.  When you solve a problem that is the greatest feeling, especially if you do it creatively and efficiently and not through brute force.

Alas since I'm not working in the gaming industry (but use a lot of tools and concepts in common with it) I don't think I'll ever have to deal with opening doors.

Edited by m76

1 hour ago, skyfire said:

Game development is not an easy task. I mean platformer and the RPG games make it look like easy but more you go in depth with 3D and the FPS games the more you realize how hard it is. 

In reality perspective doesn't make a lot of difference, an RPG or platformer can be more complex and "difficult" to make than any 3D game. I mean making the basics of a game was child's play when I did it in the early 2000s, the tools only got exponentially better since then. They are gaslighting you. It is a time consuming and labour intensive task to make an AAA game, but difficult it is certainly not.

10 hours ago, m76 said:

It is a time consuming and labour intensive task to make an AAA game, but difficult it is certainly not.

It depends on the specific job, there are literally hundreds of different tasks, responsibilities and talents involved in a AAA production.  From design and art, 3D modeling, developing code for physics, AI, testing, writing, voice acting, directing... The list goes on forever.