Register Now
Kane99

Do you think 2021 will be another big year for gaming?

2020 was a good year for gaming, in fact it drew the gaming industry some of its biggest profits in years. With more people at home and out of a job, more people were gaming than usual. But, with the pandemic hopefully winding down here soon, do you think profits in the gaming industry will stay steady, go down, or even maybe go up? 

I think it'll stay steady and it'll be another great year for the gaming industry, but with the talk about $70 games, and new gen consoles still being hard to come by, it could be a lower year. 

What do you guys think? 

Nope - this year is going to be a massive L for gaming with the price of consoles and GPUs through the roof, the gaming industry is mainly going to flop this year. In addition to that, not many titles seem that appealing except the usual like RE8 and a few others - it's not looking like anything to be excited about.

Unlikely. Even with the new consoles and graphics cards releasing, I can't see big game production happening unless developer safety is thrown to the wind as they're called back into offices. Personally I think this is a good thing, as what people need right now is an emotional enema to cleanse away all the toxins of hype culture, customers and industry people both.

13 hours ago, m76 said:

tt will be a very dry season.  No new games of any interest coming this year.

Wait don't we have Dying Ligh...at this point, it just seems like that game is pulling a half-life 3 on us.

13 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

Unlikely. Even with the new consoles and graphics cards releasing, I can't see big game production happening unless developer safety is thrown to the wind as they're called back into offices. Personally I think this is a good thing, as what people need right now is an emotional enema to cleanse away all the toxins of hype culture, customers and industry people both.

That's a valid point actually - all these "gameplay" trailers without actual gameplay...At this point, I just wait until games come out and watch the reviews before I make any decision.

20 hours ago, killamch89 said:

Wait don't we have Dying Ligh...at this point, it just seems like that game is pulling a half-life 3 on us.

i don't think that's exactly going to be a masterpiece.  There is also days gone coming out on PC, and Deathloop, but all are kind of meh games, maybe better than nothing but won't make this a great year.

2 hours ago, m76 said:

i don't think that's exactly going to be a masterpiece.  There is also days gone coming out on PC, and Deathloop, but all are kind of meh games, maybe better than nothing but won't make this a great year.

I mean RE 8 is coming out which is probably my only hope of a somewhat decent game this year. At this point, I'm not sure what we're even looking forward to next year either.

I'd say Forbidden West, but I Don't want to get it for the PS4, and if I'm going to wait for a ps5, I might as well wait for an eventual PC release down the line, so I don't consider that game this year.

On 3/13/2021 at 1:33 AM, killamch89 said:

I think it's safe to say Dying Light 2's going the way of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2. There's too much internal strife for that game to come out with any sort of technical or artistic competence. It appears that and Dead Island 2 are both tripping over themselves to admit they're doing pretty badly at the moment, which like VtM:B2 before it, is par for the course of this year's releases.

I'd say it's entertaining, but you need some highs with the lows. A tall woman with massive claws is about as exciting as 2021's going to get for me, and I'm not into Resident Evil.

Edited by Withywarlock

I believe that this year will be less productive and less major games coming out. The reason? A lot of the games in 2020 just needed finalizing or bugs fixed, nothing major. Whereas a game that has had publishers working from home for over a year now has a lot more work.

7 hours ago, Withywarlock said:

I think it's safe to say Dying Light 2's going the way of Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2. There's too much internal strife for that game to come out with any sort of technical or artistic competence. It appears that and Dead Island 2 are both tripping over themselves to admit they're doing pretty badly at the moment, which like VtM:B2 before it, is par for the course of this year's releases.

I'd say it's entertaining, but you need some highs with the lows. A tall woman with massive claws is about as exciting as 2021's going to get for me, and I'm not into Resident Evil.

You know it' bad when Dying Light is literally living up to its name - it's really like a dying light. I heard about one of the devs under investigation for sexual harassment and some other stuff. I have been saying it since last year that I'd be surprised if it actually came out this year.

9 hours ago, m76 said:

I'd say Forbidden West, but I Don't want to get it for the PS4, and if I'm going to wait for a ps5, I might as well wait for an eventual PC release down the line, so I don't consider that game this year.

I haven't really heard of this one if I'm being honest - I'll definitely check it out.

On 3/14/2021 at 9:45 PM, Syntax said:

I believe that this year will be less productive and less major games coming out. The reason? A lot of the games in 2020 just needed finalizing or bugs fixed, nothing major. Whereas a game that has had publishers working from home for over a year now has a lot more work.

This is actually a very good reason that is quite understandable because you wouldn't have a lot of bugs and glitches to fix in your latest games and dump it for release a new one.