Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

Which skyrim character build/race is the best?

I got Skyrim in the mail today. Is the game in 1st person the whole time? Does characterization builds matter? I see that each race has its unique properties, but which is best to go with? Which do you prefer? Any bad playing experience with any of the races? I was about to go with the Dark Elf since I read a lot of books with them. But I'm not sure. 

It doesn't matter to much in Skyrim.  Each race still has it's own characteristics and powers but unlike Oblivion the system is set in a way that you won't be punished for picking a certain race/build combination or leveling wrong.  Whether you want a warrior, theif, assassin or mage type build you can basically pick whatever race you want and go for it.

There is a 3rd person but I think most players prefer playing in first, especially if your like me and like a stealth build with a bow as your primary.  Like I said it's really up to you, just what comes naturally.

Edited by Crazycrab

22 minutes ago, Crazycrab said:

It doesn't matter to much in Skyrim.  Each race still has it's own characteristics and powers but unlike Oblivion the system is set in a way that you won't be punished for picking a certain race/build combination or leveling wrong.  Whether you want a warrior, theif, assassin or mage type build you can basically pick whatever race you want and go for it.

There is a 3rd person but I think most players prefer playing in first, especially if your like me and like a stealth build with a bow as your primary.  Like I said it's really up to you, just what comes naturally.

Actually, most do prefer to play it in third person but otherwise your assessment is pretty much on point. As for myself, I'm usually a mage or a duel wielding warrior so I tend to go for the High elves or the Redguards.

I play it in 3rd person when I play it. I always go with an elf also. Since my childhood days of playing D&D, I have always liked elves over humans. So far, I haven't really run into any kind of obstacles in playing an elf, but I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of the game yet. So there's that to consider too. If I remember correctly I'm playing a dark elf. She might be a high elf, but I think I went dark this time around. I'd have to find the screenshot I took, or the thread I posted her picture on to know for sure, as I haven't played it in a while. I'm too enamored with RDR2.

5 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I play it in 3rd person when I play it. I always go with an elf also. Since my childhood days of playing D&D, I have always liked elves over humans. So far, I haven't really run into any kind of obstacles in playing an elf, but I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of the game yet. So there's that to consider too. If I remember correctly I'm playing a dark elf. She might be a high elf, but I think I went dark this time around. I'd have to find the screenshot I took, or the thread I posted her picture on to know for sure, as I haven't played it in a while. I'm too enamored with RDR2.

Same - In most games I play, I tend to use elves. I don't know if it's the point ears or the pointy nose XD. Dark elves in Skyrim tend to specialize in the destruction school of magic while high elves tend to be more all-rounded. Their origins also vary.

Well, I say argonian for me because of their ability to breathe underwater and their Hitskin power. Makes your health fill up 10x faster even in combat which makes you damn near invincible for 60 seconds. Got me through many dungeons I’d otherwise be underpowered for. Also 50% disease resistance is nice.