Register Now
killamch89

Primal PS2

This was originally a PS2 platformer where you travelled to 4 different lands to solve puzzles and all the mundane stuff. What made this game unique was the transformations - If I remember correctly this is one of the first game apart from the original DMC that allowed you to switch transformations mid-battle. It was truly an underrated game. What are your thoughts on Primal?

Loved this game. Deep, engaging story, unique setting, a great looking game and very enjoyable combat. The mechanics revolving arond Scree were also a lot of fun and were very innovative. The 4 demon types added variety and were all fun to play as. Another thing was the soundtrack from 16Volt, a brilliant band and the music fit so well. The game is still available on the PSN store and I would recommend it. 

Edited by Shagger

3 minutes ago, Shagger said:

Loved this game. Deep, engaging story, unique setting, a great looking game and very enjoyable combat. The mechanics revolving arong were also a lot of fun and were very innovative. The 4 demon types added variety and were all fun to play as. Another thing was the soundtrack from 16Volt, a brilliant band and the music fit so well. The game still available on the PSN store and I would recommend it. 

I first found it on the same demo disk as the original Ratchet & Clank and I got both games after playing the hell out of them. I've always felt it was one of the most underrated games for the PS2. I really miss these types of games - nowadays, I just get the feeling that most games are a carbon copy of the other in terms of gameplay and story.

I remember playing it back in the day, decent game but I feel like it missed out on some of the opportunities it presented itself.  The transformations for instance, it was neat that you could switch between the forms but it was also kind of pointless all forms except for the one that ties to that particular realm were useless in combat so there was never any reason to switch other than to solve some puzzles.  The second form, Undine, allows Jen to swim but Aquis is the only area with any water, so you never use it again!  That brings me onto the second item I feel it could have benefited from which was a more open level design.  It would have been cool to be able to re-visit some of the other realms later in the game and it seems to be laid out perfectly for that but no, it's very liner.

Good game otherwise, interesting lore, cool soundtrack, good visuals, great voice acting, bit of button masher in combat but still fun.  I think the best thing was the puzzles, it was one of the first games I remember playing that had organic enviormental type puzzles rather that stereotypical "find the key to the door" or "pull a switch" type tropes. I'd recommend it.

I think I was too young to really get this, which was a shame because I tried so hard to like it. I kept hitting a wall in terms of the puzzles or which form I needed to get to which place, so now I'm older (and wise enough to use Google-Fu) I may well give it the chance it deserves.

On 3/16/2021 at 5:50 AM, Withywarlock said:

I think I was too young to really get this, which was a shame because I tried so hard to like it. I kept hitting a wall in terms of the puzzles or which form I needed to get to which place, so now I'm older (and wise enough to use Google-Fu) I may well give it the chance it deserves.

As @Shagger says, it's currently on the PS network so you can give it a try. I agree that some of the puzzles were a tad infuriating but at times, I realized that the camera angles tend to throw you off.

On 3/16/2021 at 10:51 AM, Tsalagi_Dragon said:

I loved it. It is one of my favorite games. Jen and Scree were great characters. The transformations and playing as Scree were fun. I liked the soundtrack. I really enjoyed the story. It's too bad the sequel was cancelled.

I agree - I definitely would've loved a sequel to this game. One of the things I think overshadowed it was the fact that the original Devil May Cry came out around the same time as this game so people went crazy over that and Primal fell through the cracks unfortunately.