Register Now
StaceyPowers

What makes you need a break from a particular game?

I had to quit RDR2 last night. I guess you could call it rage quitting. I had caught and broke the warped brindle Arabian and broken her. Before I could even ride her, a pack of fucking wolves ran up, which caused her to buck me off and run away. If I had had 5 seconds to switch my saddle from the horse I rode up there (red chestnut Arabian) to her, it would have bonded us. But no. So I have to go through the whole thing again. And I swear if the same thing happens with the fucking wolves, I will put a bullet through my PS4. I was so far beyond enraged, that my dogs in the living room were getting scared. I made it up to the dogs, but I was so pissed off.

Edited by The Blackangel

45 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

I had to quit RDR2 last night. I guess you could call it rage quitting. I had caught and broke the warped brindle Arabian and broken her. Before I could even ride her, a pack of fucking wolves ran up, which caused her to buck me off and run away. If I had had 5 seconds to switch my saddle from the horse I rode up there (red chestnut Arabian) to her, it would have bonded us. But no. So I have to go through the whole thing again. And I swear if the same thing happens with the fucking wolves, I will put a bullet through my PS4. I was so far beyond enraged, that my dogs in the living room were getting scared. I made it up to the dogs, but I was so pissed off.

Same damn thing happened to me but with a different horse. Don’t remember which one but it was beautiful. Then the MF wolves came along and freakin killed me after knocking me off the horse. Or maybe the horse bucked me, I don’t know. But I just tamed it and seconds later damn wolves! 

Well, Me and my good flights in my flights sims. Ispend hours each day, 50 hours of flight time in a week. After a while it does get to you deeply and it makes you scream to flipping out and to the point that you think to yourself that do I really need to do another 5 hours flight tonight. DOing allot of it with the same game/sim does get to you after a while and at times need a break and get your minde of from doing it, that's why I do CSGO after a flight to get some stress or action out of me. 

Tedium and grind. When the progress in the main story is hindered by having to go out of your way to complete disposable activities just to farm materials or money to be able to level up or get necessary upgrades for progression.

An example where this happened to me is Dragon Age Inquisition, took a 6 month break before I finally wrapped it up.

It also happened recently with Dying Light, I might come back to it eventually but right now I had to take a break.

Burnout can also cause me to give games a break. Like I used to play a lot of Train Simulator, but barely touched it in the last few years. Also stopped playing XCOM2 for now. But at the same time I'm back playing Transport Tycoon Deluxe, after taking a very long break.

Edited by m76

I think if we spend a full day gaming, then at some point later in the day, we instinctively know when it's time to quit. The game gets boring, regardless of what missions there are to do. So to avoid complete burnout, we just quit for the day. Come back the next day or a couple days later, and we're good to go. For example I haven't played RDR2 for a couple days. I'm going to play it after I get done with the internet for today. But for the moment, there's enough that I want to do online. For example, I LOVE watching YouTube videos about RDR2. There's a lot of spoilers in them for people who have never played the game, but that's a moot point for me, as I have played the hell out of the game.

19 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

with the fucking wolves

fucking wolves. They drive me crazy in RDR too.

7 hours ago, m76 said:

An example where this happened to me is Dragon Age Inquisition, took a 6 month break before I finally wrapped it up.

It took so long for me to figure out closing rifts was optional and that none of the random little side quests were going to add to the lore. I think it will go better on my next playthrough, as I will just skip most of that stuff to keep the pace/flow of the game more enjoyable.

On 3/21/2021 at 9:49 PM, StaceyPowers said:

What types of annoyances cause you to need to step away from a given game for a few days, weeks, or even months before coming back to it?

If I keep hitting a wall over and over again with no breakthrough, I definitely need to take a break and recollect myself. 

3 hours ago, Demon_skeith said:

If something is getting too tedious or the boss is a complete pain to even fight. Sometimes a long break is what is needed to get it done. 

In this situation, it's probably obvious that it's going to require more game play in a frustrating manner before I can complete the game. So, a break is necessary.