Register Now
StaceyPowers

Have you ever bought books based on video games?

The only game related books I read were the official mass effect novels.

The first three books by Drew Karpyshin were great, I can't recommend them enough. However the fourth book "Deception" by Dietz, is awful, avoid it like the plague. The writer was simply lazy and failed to get up to speed on even basic mass effect lore, and also ruined or wasted the characters built up by Karpyshin over the course of 3 books.

I also read the first half of the Mass Effect Andromeda NExus Uprising novel. Why just half? Because I couldn't go on, it was so atrocious. This is an entirely other level of bad, compared to deception. This is not bad due to lack of research, it's bad because it was co written by untalented hacks. I've never seen this dreary and awful writing, infused with such social propaganda. Trying to raise feelings above science, which is ironic for a science fiction novel.

I've read books from the Halo series like,Β The Fall of Reach, The Flood. I also own Cryptum but have yet to finish it (can't get past the first couple chapters)

Of the ones I've read, I'd recommend The Fall of Reach, First Strike. They were all written by the same guy, Eric Nylund and so they have a consistency to them that the other books don't quite have. I felt the other books were okay reads at best. If you''re into the Halo games, they have tons of backstory in them, but I don't know what it was about them that threw me off. Maybe the writing style or the fact that, aside from The Flood, they don't follow the Chief.

I bought Mortal Kombat after the first movie came out and there was MK fever. I still have it and reread it all the time. It strays a lot from the story of the game. But it still has the core characters, plus a few extras. The story behind a few of the characters is changed. For example, I never heard of Reptile being Shao Kahn's personal bodyguard prior to reading the book. Also, why in all the fucks of the world, would Shao Kahn need a god damn bodyguard? I think he's just a little too powerful to need protection and security around him like that. He's not the President of the US. He's an immortal being with powers and abilities that mankind can't even fathom.

The World of Warcraft novels by Christie Golden, most of which are tie-ins between expansions. While her works are often criticised compared to other authors, I do enjoy her content as it's easily digested. I especially like how she's the first person to describe Grommash Hellscream as gaunt (his namesake roar being what makes him so intimidating), meanwhile Samwise does a Samwise and makes Grom look like this.

I've also bought the Warcraft tabletop RPG supplements for Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Edition if they count too. As it turns out Pandaren had a fair bit of lore to before Mists of Pandaria, to say they were originally a "joke race".

On 3/23/2021 at 10:46 PM, StaceyPowers said:

Have you bought or read books that are based on games or expand their lore? Which did you enjoy?

After playing The Witcher and watching the movies, I learnt it had a book which wasΒ The Witcher book series by Andrzej Sapkowski. I didn't waste time getting the book.Β 

I do like Manga and I am reading some too. But I am never really fond of reading from my school days. πŸ˜…

I would rather prefer to fight with my sword/riffle in my game, than reading those lengthy boring books, story of which I can feel in real in those games. 😊

On 7/31/2021 at 6:02 AM, Razor1911 said:

I do like Manga and I am reading some too. But I am never really fond of reading from my school days. πŸ˜…

I would rather prefer to fight with my sword/riffle in my game, than reading those lengthy boring books, story of which I can feel in real in those games. 😊

Do you know when the books πŸ“š come in handy? If you ever get grounded for two weeks with no game time, that's when you will know how good those books are.Β 

5 hours ago, Heatman said:

Do you know when the books πŸ“š come in handy? If you ever get grounded for two weeks with no game time, that's when you will know how good those books are.Β 

Nah, as long as I have mobile phone in my hand, I don't need any book. Even if I have to read ebooks, I have kindle in my phone to read it online. 😊

If I have given the option to choose from the movie and the game, I would definitely pick the game. πŸ˜†

Edited by Razor1911

1 minute ago, Razor1911 said:

Nah, as long as I have mobile phone in my hand, I don't need any book. Even if I have to read ebooks, I have kindle in my phone to read it online. 😊

If I have given the movie and the same game, I would definitely pick the game. πŸ˜†

Ooh I see, the mobile phone to the rescue. It's a pretty perfect getaway from getting grounded honestly.Β 

Just now, Heatman said:

Ooh I see, the mobile phone to the rescue. It's a pretty perfect getaway from getting grounded honestly.Β 

Yeah, these days mobile phones have everything you need for your daily use. Even if you are a hardcore gamer, you could play high end games like GTA and Arkham Asylum in phone also. The graphics level is so good of these games, that you will feel like you are holding a PSP. 😊