Register Now
StaceyPowers

Favorite side-scrollers?

The only 2-D game I currently play is Final Fantasy Record Keeper for Android and to be fair, it's one of the better mobile games. Yes, it has microtransactions but you don't really need it to be successful. you just have to be smart with your resources. 

I could be listing games all day. But to keep it short I'll list only a few.

NES---
Zelda II
Blaster Master
Wizards & Warriors
SMB 3
Contra
Castlevania 2

SNES---
Blackthorne
Mario World
Beavis & Butthead
Earthworm Jim 2

RANDOMS---
Castlevania SOTN (PS1)
Mario Land 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)
Sonic & Knuckles (Sega Genesis)
Pitfall (Atari 2600)

I ain't a big fan of the genre, I mean I've played them too in the past, but only because we didn't have anything better. Nowadays you couldn't sit me down in front of a side scroller for more than five minutes. No matter how artsy fartsy. To me modern side scrollers are akin to the games trying to mimic 8bit computer graphics. To me those efforts mean nothing, let the past be the past.

My favorite side scroller was probably Another World, which was remade a few years ago, but even that couldn't get me back to playing.

Edited by m76

On 3/24/2021 at 11:48 PM, StaceyPowers said:

I don’t think we have a topic on here about side-scrollers/2D games. This is a genre I don’t know much about, especially in terms of modern games. What are your favorite side-scrollers?

I'll say Super Treasure Arena & Move or Die.

On 3/25/2021 at 4:58 PM, The Blackangel said:

I could be listing games all day. But to keep it short I'll list only a few.

NES---
Zelda II
Blaster Master
Wizards & Warriors
SMB 3
Contra
Castlevania 2

SNES---
Blackthorne
Mario World
Beavis & Butthead
Earthworm Jim 2

RANDOMS---
Castlevania SOTN (PS1)
Mario Land 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)
Sonic & Knuckles (Sega Genesis)
Pitfall (Atari 2600)

Contra and Castlevania 2 are my favorite get to go 2D games back them. They were pretty good games at the time because it was what's trending those period. 

On 3/25/2021 at 3:18 AM, StaceyPowers said:

I don’t think we have a topic on here about side-scrollers/2D games. This is a genre I don’t know much about, especially in terms of modern games. What are your favorite side-scrollers?

I think, hardly many modern gamers will appreciate 2d games these days. We are already advanced too much in graphics segment, people will not prefer to play 2d games anymore.

I remember playing games like Mario brothers, Contra force, Ninja turtles in 2D videos games, that was around 2010. These were nostalgic memories really.

Edited by Razor1911

I grew up in the 80's and still remember Atari 2600 being the cutting edge of home technology. I remember microwaves and VCR's being something that only the lucky and the rich could afford to buy. I remember cassettes being played on a Walkman. I remember the video game crash of the early 80's. And I remember the explosion of the mid 80's when the NES hit the western market and saved the entire video game industry. Everyone wanted one. I had a Colecovision and didn't appreciate it at the time. How foolish I was. But the NES brought video games to a new height, that no one ever would have thought possible if they hadn't seen it with their own eyes. We went from 2 bit graphics, straight into 8 bit graphics.

We also went straight into some of the absolute best games ever released. It's part of the reason I'm a classic gamer, but won't go anywhere near any of the flashback bullshit or emulators, as I feel like a traitor and literally sick to my stomach at the though of using either. I'm not coming down on anyone who prefers either. To each their own.

4) The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo one's own.

But I personally can't use either. I use the original systems designed by said company (Nintendo, Atari, Sega, etc.) and the original cartridges. Sure performing brain surgery on a 35 year old NES can get tedious every time you want to play a game, but it's worth it to me.

On 8/1/2021 at 4:10 AM, Heatman said:

I actually had plans to play those games back in the days when men were boys but I never got to and it's highly unlikely that it would happen again. 

Why not? You should try them, you might like those games.