The latest update for Star Wars Battlefront 2 focuses mainly on shoring up the game’s online stability and performance, particularly when it comes to the game’s Squad System. However, there’s also some new content for players to dabble in as well.
The Squad System update, which follows last month’s Clone Troopers update, is mostly comprised of quality-of-life changes and bug fixes. The most noticeable changes are in regards to the Squad System which now places all players into small squad groups when a match begins.
If you’re in a pre-made group with your friends, you’ll all be placed into the same squad, and whether you’re a solo player in a squad with strangers or in a squad with your friends, you’ll be able to respawn near any surviving squadmates, allowing you to get back into the action more quickly. Using the Squad System, players will also be able to participate in private 2v2 matches of Hero Showdown.
As for new content, Battlefront 2 players can now purchase/unlock two new sets of Clone Wars-era trooper appearances. The new sets are themed around the 91st Mobile Reconnaissance Corp and the 104th “Wolf Pack” Battalion.
The full patch notes for the Squad System update, which is just the first in a series of updates that developer DICE has planned for the autumn/winter months, can be found below. You can also read this new Community Transmission post to get a better idea of how the update affects elements such as server ping, matchmaking, and more.
- Added ability to get into squads and spawn on squad members on Galactic Assault and Strike
- Improved screen flow for quicker spawning in all modes where Squad Spawn is not present
Quality of Life
- More dynamic change of characters shown on the Home and Career screens, due to implementation of backend ability to change those in a live environment
- Implemented various stability fixes for the End of Round (EOR) Matchmaking
- Improved the way the game client looks for an online game, by adding an automated Default option for the best Ping site, as well as simplifying the choice of sites in the menu.
- Fixed an issue where Leia’s Alternate Fire ability could damage a player piloting the AT-ST
- Fixed an issue where the “Repair” ability would not properly activate
Lando’s Millennium Falcon
- Fixed an issue where the Tactical Jammer ability would have no effect on Lando’s Millennium Falcon
Classes & Special Units Changes
- Fixed an issue that would prevent the Disruption ability to trigger in sync with the animation
- Removed the ability of Ion Turrets to lock and fire on troopers, as requested by the community
- Reduced the damage done by the Ion Torpedo for better balancing
Game Mode Changes
- Implemented backend timers that allow tweaking of the objective duration on Galactic Assault in a live environment
- Added animations to further enhance the look and feel of the game mode’s widget
- Fixed a spelling issue in one of the objective texts
- Fixed an issue where heroes could hide or get stuck behind metal barriers on Jakku
- Fixed an issue that would leave players stuck between tree and mountain assets
- Fixed an issue where the chicken near the East Turbolaser would not be fleeing from the player
- Added Ewok Hunt and Extraction-based challenges to the list of Daily Challenges
- Removed Hero Showdown-based challenges “Perfect Together” and “Vader and Kylo”, based on player feedback that they are too hard to achieve in an online environment
- Fixed an issue where Iden’s character and description text would be missing from the Campaign’s spawn and customization screen
- Fixed an issue where players would not be able to change their Clone Trooper appearances during the pre-round screens on games taking place on Kashyyyk and Kamino
- Added additional UI effects when unlocking an Emote, Victory Pose or Appearance from the menu
- Increased the maximum numbers of players in a group to 20, and the maximum number of players who can play together to 8
- Fixed an issue where the button to get more Crystals would not show up in the Emotes and Victory Poses screens
- Adjusted the “Saviour Kill” stat, so that it tracks relevant kills from the whole team and not just the squad members
- This update will automatically disable CrossFire functionality for players with AMD Graphics Cards running on Windows 8 / 8.1, due to lack of support for multi-GPU with the specified operating system and GPU vendor.
- Fixed an issue where the Resourceful Star Card wouldn’t correctly lower the ability cooldown when used.