Register Now
Kane99

is Dave the Diver an indie game?

The game awards are happening tonight, and one of the games up for an award is Dave The Diver, a popular indie game that is nominated for best indie game along with Cocoon, Dredge, Sea of Stars, and Viewfinder. Though many are trying to say it doesn't qualify as an indie game as it's published by a South Korean publishers Nexon, who are said to be a multi-billion dollar company. And the game is developed by MintRocket, a subsidiary started by Nexon. 

So, do you think this game deserves to be included in the Indie game category? Or do you think it should have been included in other categories or not even nominated? 

I at first thought it was a situation where you're a small developer working for a big publisher, but they own the development company as well in this case. For me, I would say it's fine, because I think we look at indie games as smaller titles. But they should be games made by a small team with limited resources. That's what I feel when I hear indie games. What about you? 

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2023/11/is-dave-the-diver-an-indie-game-the-game-awards-host-weighs-in