Register Now
Kane99

Asset flipped games, are they going to get more sophisticated?

Asset flip games seem to happen more often these days as new engines come out making the process of making games a lot easier. But a lot of asset flips are essentially developers throwing stuff into a game expecting to trick people into buying it. An asset flip is basically a game made with assets purchased from specific game engines. They purchase or even use free assets to then make their game, but don't usually do any coding or any work to the controls. They slap it on, and usually call it a day. 

Now we got Unreal Engine 5, which is making it easier to put an asset flip game out. Look at The Day Before as an example, it's said to have been a complete asset flip without any coding or work done to make it their own. Remember that fake God of War game that came out on Xbox a while back? That was likely an asset flip, but instead they illegally used a character skin from another game. And we also can't forget about that game that tried to be like the Last of Us on Switch, called the Last Hope. 

With Unreal Engine 5 providing good quality assets, do you think we might see more, shall I say, prettier fakes popping up? 

Now, I'm not saying asset flipping is always bad. It can work out great, but I think it comes down to if there is any work being done on the gameplay side, because a lot of these quickly made asset flips play like hot garbage. Controls are often bad, or not optimized in any way. 

Expect more of these bad asset flips with these game engines getting better and better. Whether it be Unity or Unreal Engine 5, or some other engine out there.