Register Now
Kane99

Xbox is accused of allegedly using AI art to promote indie games

Xbox has been getting some heat recently for promoting an image that looks oddly AI generated. You can view it via the tweet below. 

https://twitter.com/WarwickOnX/status/1740293431166197961?s=20

This article discusses more on the matter - https://www.purexbox.com/news/2023/12/xbox-sparks-fury-over-using-ai-generated-art-to-promote-indie-games

If you have seen AI before, you will notice this looks oddly AI generated. There are some subtle signs, like arms in odd positions, the dudes face in the middle, one kid looks to have two different colored scarfs, etc. And another sign is that it looks almost exactly like what Bing AI's image generator can do. I have messed around with it, and the images look as AI as you can get. My guess is the person running their socials probably didn't want to make a custom graphic, or didn't have one on hand, so used their AI image generator and got this. 

I know AI is a hot topic, and people are very split on it. But when you're a billion dollar company, it feels odd to use AI images for your promotion needs, you shouldn't have to. And I don't think AI should be allowed to be used for those means. Especially considering AI uses samples of others art and works, so that what you're producing with AI isn't even your own. 

I've already seen others using AI to promote stuff, so it's going to continue to happen. And when it gets too sophisticated, we won't be able to tell the difference, or some wont. And that creates other problems. 

Anyway, it looks like ID by Xbox deleted that tweet after the backlash, but who knows what else they could be using AI for in terms of promotion. 

Edited by Kane99
added article