Register Now
Kane99

Ubisoft Exec- "Gamers Need to Get 'Comfortable' Not Owning Their Games for Subscriptions to Take Off"

And here is the start of it. An Ubisoft executive, Philippe Tremblay said that gamers will need to get “comfortable” not owning their games in the future if they want game subscriptions to take off. He expects games to go the way movies, tv, and music has gone, where majority of people no longer buy the physical media anymore and consume it digitally. I get this is the future we're moving towards if everything is going to be digital and streaming, but it is going to suck not owning the games we buy anymore. Even the games we buy digitally now I don't expect to own in the next 20 years at the rate things are going. 

Do you agree with this guy though? I know we're going to get to a point where physical games will be no more, and the only way to play games is to pay a subscription or buy a license to download the game. I think as long as I can download my games to a secondary drive to play whenever, I could probably deal with this, but I have a feeling these companies will continue with DRM methods even with digital games somehow. Either that, or they're going to force online connections in order to play your "owned" games. 

More on this story can be found here - https://me.ign.com/en/ps5/217087/news/ubisoft-exec-says-gamers-need-to-get-comfortable-not-owning-their-games-for-subscriptions-to-take-of