Register Now
Kane99

Ever forget you put money down on a pre-order?

I remember hearing years ago about how some people would put down the initial $5 to put in a pre-order at GameStop, and completely forget they had said pre-order in. I heard it resulted in them making a lot of money because GameStop assumed they weren't going to see those pre-orders happen. So they got to keep the $5 from all of these no-show pre-orders.  I wish I could find the article, or story it was mentioned in. But I know it was something about how many pre-orders they have in that are forgotten. It also makes me wonder if some people put in more than the $5. I imagine they have rules that if you don't complete the pre-order they can eventually keep it, even if you put in more than $5. 

I think it'd be better if they put that money in as store credit instead of keeping it. Considering that money was supposed to go towards a game, so if they forget to complete the pre-order and if they have an account, it should be put in as credit. Or if they don't have an account, then they can place the money on hold for a certain period than keep it if it's never claimed. 

Anyway, have you ever put money down at GameStop or other stores and forget about it? I don't think I ever put money down for a pre-order and forgot, I'm the type who doesn't like to pre-order to begin with. I don't see a point in doing it. If I want it, I'll buy it when it releases. But I know some people like to pre-order stuff. 

Then again, pre-ordering might be a thing of the past if video games and other media go completely digital. Which I think is the direction we're heading unfortunately.