Register Now
StaceyPowers

I just figured out why I love Fallout DLCs so much

I have played all the DLCs in Fallout 3, and have played two of the DLCs in Fallout New Vegas. Right now I’m in the middle of Old World Blues, and then I will just have Lonesome Road left to complete.

I have felt like DLCs are a treat in Fallout ever since the first one I played, maybe more so than in, say, Skyrim.

Skyrim’s DLCs obviously add a lot of value, but I think I figured out what it is about Fallout DLCs that I like so much.

I think it is how each of them is its own separate “production.” They take you to different locations, and there is a chance to experiment with the format of the gameplay without disrupting the main game (i.e. stealth in Dead Money, or what feels like a military shooter in Anchorage). This also provides a chance to tell a linear story with a start, middle and end, again without disrupting the freedom of the open world in the main part of the game. Even though I love open worlds, I love linear stories too.

I like both the experimentation and the stories, and it seems like a smart way of doing more with an open world game without curbing into its overall freedom. My only regret is how much I wish I could bring some of the temporary companions back with me, and can’t.

Are there any other open world games that handle DLCs in a similar way?