Register Now
StaceyPowers

Dragon Age or Mass Effect?

If you’ve played both, which series is your favorite?

I don’t think I could pick one or the other as an “overall” winner. But there are things I feel each does best. I felt DA’s portrayal of gray, complicated politics was best, but ME’s overall story-arcing was more satisfying, etc.

Much as I like Dragon Age, the fact that it's a series is my problem with it. Ignoring that I found the following games mediocre at the best of times (sans the tabletop RPG, which I've heard good things of) it wasn't supposed to be a series and that the first game ended conclusively enough. And I concur with your reasonings, @StaceyPowers, that Mass Effect works better as a series, even if I feel the later two games of the core games could be chopped, changed and merged. Origins accomplishes everything it needed to do from beginning to end.

So, Mass Effect, if for unsavoury reasons.

16 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

Much as I like Dragon Age, the fact that it's a series is my problem with it. Ignoring that I found the following games mediocre at the best of times (sans the tabletop RPG, which I've heard good things of) it wasn't supposed to be a series and that the first game ended conclusively enough. And I concur with your reasonings, @StaceyPowers, that Mass Effect works better as a series, even if I feel the later two games of the core games could be chopped, changed and merged. Origins accomplishes everything it needed to do from beginning to end.

So, Mass Effect, if for unsavoury reasons.

DA II is actually my favourite. But I totally get where you are coming from, and in a general sense, I agree--ME does work much better as a series. And on the whole, I tend to choose to think of the DA games as independent titles set in Thedas, if that makes sense, as I find that frames them better than thinking of them as part of one long saga.

Just now, StaceyPowers said:

DA II is actually my favourite. But I totally get where you are coming from, and in a general sense, I agree--ME does work much better as a series. And on the whole, I tend to choose to think of the DA games as independent titles set in Thedas, if that makes sense, as I find that frames them better than thinking of them as part of one long saga.

Your framing makes a lot of sense, no worries there, and in that regard it may make the games a lot more tolerable. Like I say, I'm really annoyed that the ending I've got - which is one of the most satisfactory conclusions I've had for a game - somehow allows Inquisition to exist. I think this is just one of those things where, because I'm autistic, I'm going to be incapable of budging on I'm afraid.

36 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

Your framing makes a lot of sense, no worries there, and in that regard it may make the games a lot more tolerable. Like I say, I'm really annoyed that the ending I've got - which is one of the most satisfactory conclusions I've had for a game - somehow allows Inquisition to exist. I think this is just one of those things where, because I'm autistic, I'm going to be incapable of budging on I'm afraid.

But that's what I want to know. Can you make a "SPOILERS" warning, and tell me the ending you got?

EDIT: Oh, I see you did this int he other thread.

And I'm autistic too, so I can relate 🙂

Edited by StaceyPowers