Register Now
The Blackangel

Thinking of teaching self defense classes

I've talked about this with @Rain Dew a few times, and she's all for it. Despite being in a wheelchair, I still know how to fight, and feel like I could be a good instructor. I won't teach anyone how to use a weapon, but I will teach them how to defend themselves against someone using a weapon against them. I've been in countless fights over the years and the only time I was on the losing end is when 4 cowards jumped me from behind.

All that said, I'm sure I could help some people out. I wouldn't set an age limit, but I think I would do best with kids. They're usually a lot more open to taking in information, whereas adults resist and want to be the instructor instead. There's just a lot of things I need that are stopping me. I need to find a place to rent out, liability insurance, equipment such as pads and other training items, etc. I have a name for it if it was ever to become a reality.

You would have an uphill battle marketing it-- not saying not to do it, but it's something you should be aware of. 'Self-defense' classes have a reputation for being a racket that exploits scared or paranoid people into spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on learning "moves" or "techniques" that aren't really helpful if you can't learn to read the other person's body language to know when to apply them. Not to mention not much help if they have a gun or a knife...

I'm not saying that's what I think you would do, but that's the reputation you'd be up against. Maybe see if you can call it something else-- and please do because it sounds like your ambition is to make a power rangers team and that's boss.

There won’t be any patterns or special techniques. This isn’t a martial arts class. It’s defense, not pretty motions. I know what to do in this situation. Also, I wouldn’t be charging hundreds or thousands of dollars. Nowhere near that, as that is extortionate.

A lot of people around here are wanting an affordable self defense class, because the martial arts classes are way too expensive. Even Mark Zuckerberg would be like “WHAT THE FUCK?!”