Register Now
Kane99

Using AI Chatbots for NPC interactions

AI is getting more advanced, so much so that popular videos games are starting to adopt AI chatbots right into their game to give more character to their NPCs. I heard a while back someone made a mod for Skyrim to make all NPCs talk with AI and it is getting better and better. Soon enough we're going to see games where all NPCs can talk with the aid of AI. 

I downloaded a tech demo a while ago on steam called Origins, and it had NPCs that utilized AI so that each conversation you have seems different. You use your voice to question witnesses to an explosion I think it was. And you're supposed to question the NPCs in the area. I'll leave you with the video Moist critical posted on it below, it's fun to see what direction gaming might be going. There is another game called Vaudeville that is an AI detective game. I haven't watched anything on that, but here it's okay. 

I hope to see more games that feature AI chatbots in the near future. 

2 hours ago, Kane99 said:

AI is getting more advanced, so much so that popular videos games are starting to adopt AI chatbots right into their game to give more character to their NPCs. I heard a while back someone made a mod for Skyrim to make all NPCs talk with AI and it is getting better and better. Soon enough we're going to see games where all NPCs can talk with the aid of AI. 

I downloaded a tech demo a while ago on steam called Origins, and it had NPCs that utilized AI so that each conversation you have seems different. You use your voice to question witnesses to an explosion I think it was. And you're supposed to question the NPCs in the area. I'll leave you with the video Moist critical posted on it below, it's fun to see what direction gaming might be going. There is another game called Vaudeville that is an AI detective game. I haven't watched anything on that, but here it's okay. 

I hope to see more games that feature AI chatbots in the near future. 

Why are you being so positive about something so clearly awful?

First, who in thier right mind would suggest that dialogue written by a bot would "more character" than dialogue written by an actual human being? Go spend some time over on Joyfreak's forum, you'll quickly learn how much "character" bot's really have.

Then there's tech demo you were so impressed by. The only reason Inworld Origins has a mostly positive review score is down to people making fun of how hysterically stupid the AI actually was. The joy in it was the unintentional hilarity, not because it was in any way impressive. Nor is the game's player stat's and downloads, especially for a free game (Screenshot taken from Inworld Origin's SteamDB page😞

image_2023-12-04_163922680.thumb.png.cab6de009536229a2b88cd9c3d54c1ec.png

So you see, some people downloaded it for a laugh, but the vast majority didn't download it at all, and I think I know why. And no, it's not lack of exposure. I mean that very video you embedded was from penguinz0, a channel with 14 million subs and has over 1 million view alone. It's done so poorly because it sets a terrible precedent.

We don't want AI to replace actual voice actors and writers for several reasons. AI is still a long way off from even being capable of that at the level of quality we would expect for games anyway. However, even if AI could I'm actually a little horrified that you would see companies replacing writers and voice actors is a good idea! What about people's livelihoods? What about integrity of creative media? This is like Bobby Kotick's wet dream, selling a game without even paying people to make it. And you would actually support that?

I know video games are not an entirely creative endeavour. I've even said so myself on this forum that I do not consider video games to be a forum of art. There is logic, rules, structure, engineering and yes, whether we like it or not, intended markets and demographics that all come into play when a game is designed, but that doesn't make the idea of AI replacing the people who do put thier idea's and creativity into these games a welcome prospect. It would be technically impressive if they pulled it off, but it would also be wrong. It can't really be considered a creative element without that human element.

I'm not 100% against AI. I think it is interesting to see it being experimented with, even in creative media. I enjoy the AI band The Frostbite Orckings, for example. Even though thier music is AI generated, the entire idea and concept was the creative endeavour of an actual human being, and I'm OK with that. And truthfully, I don't actually mind Inworld Origins in concept either as that is clearly an experiment as much as it is anything else. Using AI instead of the creative mind of an actual human being to develop something that should be created with passion and care for a reason as soulless as saving money, that's a step too far. And that is, whether you are aware of it or not, what your trying sell as good thing here.

Edited by Shagger