Register Now
Kane99

Burnout Chaos: Drift Car Project - This is not EA's Burnout

I'm kind of surprised that EA isn't coming after this team with the title of their game. To those wondering, no, this is not a sequel to the Burnout franchise from Criterion Games & EA, but its own thing from Midnight Works. I honestly don't know how they got away with using the Burnout name. My guess is EA and Criterion may not own the name anymore, or don't have it trademarked anymore. Or it might be that Burnout might be a word or phrase you can't copyright or trademark. Anyway, this new racing game will be dropping February 2nd, on PS4 & PS5. It looks like another run of the mill racing game to me, but looks like drifting will be a big thing in it. Check out the trailer below: 

EA knowing about this would be EA suing, I'm quite sure. Or perhaps they're not bothering because EA could give two shits about Burnout anymore.

However, the impression I got from that admittingly vague trailer was that this might be less of a racing game and more of a drift competition simulator. And yes, that is a thing:

If that's the case, than this might be just different enough from EA's Burnout that they might be OK, but if Nintendo can even consider a lawsuit against PocketPair over Palworld, I don't see how Midnight Works can hope to get away with this. I see the name of this game being changed at some point.