Register Now
killamch89

Games you've been excited for only to be disappointed with them on release

I'm sure all of us have had games we've been looking forward to for years only for them to massive disappointments on release. Here's a few games that make my list:

• Star Wars Battlefront II - Caught up in the nostalgia of the original Battlefront games on the PS2, I was so confident this was going to be a hit that I pre-ordered. Needless to say, on launch it was a massive flop. That was also the last time I ever pre-ordered a game.
  • Cyberpunk 2077 - We were all gushing over this game years before its release and I almost pre-ordered it but I remembered my last experience with Battlefront. To say that the launch was a massive disappointment wouldn't even begin to describe how I felt. The game was buggy and borderline unplayable at times. It's pretty good after the many patches and the DLCs.
  • Starfield - I was cautiously optimistic based on what I saw. However, given Bethesda's recent record, a part of me was saying that they'd give us a subpar experience so my expectations were reasonably low. I got this game for free and when I tell you that I'm still disappointed, you wouldn't have any idea.  The universe just feels devoid of content - the worlds are bland. Modding Elder Scrolls games and Fallout is one thing because those games had a decent amount of content to begin with. Starfield, on the other hand, felt like playing in a massive void.

What games we're you excited for before release only for them to leave you massively disappointed after release?

Usually, when a game disappoints me, I tend to get disappointed during the latter half of the game. However, there have been a few exceptions where I had instant buyer's remorse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It looked amazing in the commercials, but as soon as I started playing, I realized that I would never be able to get rid of the weapon degradation, and that the cooking/crafting system was basically mandatory. Add to that the braindead dungeon design and the copy-paste shrines, and I was sick of the game long before I finished it. I beat it and will never play it again.

Dark Souls 2. I still don't know how the creators of Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring managed to make a game this poorly designed. I slogged through this game for 120+ hours and beat it just to spite the game. I will never play it again.

And just recently, South Park: Snow Day. Unlike the previous two South Park games, this one is a 2000s-style low effort cash grab licensed game. All of the budget seems to have gone into the visuals, since those are the only part of the game that's any good. The game consists of only 5 missions/chapters, during which you do nothing but mow down waves of identical enemies Dynasty Warriors-style. There's no longer any exploration of any kind, and all of the missions have the same basic structure except for the third. Combat is extremely barebones, as there are no longer classes and only 3 melee weapons and 3 ranged weapons. And the game is freaking hard. I would have beaten it in less than 8 hours if it wasn't so damn difficult. I gave up playing on normal mode after Chapter 3, and this is coming from someone who beat Dark Souls 2 and has reached the final boss in RE3 Remake Nightmare Mode. What really makes it a pain in the butt is that if you die, you have to restart that entire mission from the beginning. I just beat it, and now it will sit on my shelf until I can give it to a co-worker who wanted to play it, as I have no intention of ever playing it again.

Mighty No. 9, I actually backed the project and was super hopeful that the game would be great! But once the game was delayed numerous times, and so many ideas were thrown around while the game was still being developed, the game just was mediocre. Funny enough I'm actually reviving my Mighty No. 9 fan forum, I noticed a few weeks ago someone decided to port the game to the PS Vita and 3DS, not full ports but it's more than what Comcept delivered and got the idea to bring back my old community for the heck of it.

On 3/28/2024 at 4:01 PM, Ravenfreak said:

Mighty No. 9, I actually backed the project and was super hopeful that the game would be great! But once the game was delayed numerous times, and so many ideas were thrown around while the game was still being developed, the game just was mediocre. Funny enough I'm actually reviving my Mighty No. 9 fan forum, I noticed a few weeks ago someone decided to port the game to the PS Vita and 3DS, not full ports but it's more than what Comcept delivered and got the idea to bring back my old community for the heck of it.

What kind of game was Mighty No.9? I've never heard of this game before.

27 minutes ago, killamch89 said:

What kind of game was Mighty No.9? I've never heard of this game before.

It's similar to Mega Man, it's a fast paced action platformer. Keiji Inafune, the guy who created Mega Man worked on it. It wasn't as good as it could have been, so now I'm weary about backing Kickstarter projects. You can read more about it on the wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mighty_No._9

20 hours ago, Knight Barida said:

Cyberpunk 2077 was a huge disappointment. I remembered Charles, my work colleague, who preordered that game still regretting tull today. I mean, that game made me never to trust preordering games again. 

I know how you feel. Star Wars Battlefront 2 did that to me - I never preordered another game since.