Register Now
Kane99

Steam Addresses the Possibility of Passing on One's Library Through a Will

In short, Steam will not allow someone to pass on their Steam library after their death. So really you take your games to the grave when you die. But, it's an interesting concept. Should gamers be able to give their accounts to family in the case of their death? I know I'll be leaving my account to my brother or nephew when I pass. They can just have my sign-in info. I'll be dead, what do I care. 

Someone reached out to Steam support recently about the possibility of transferring an account through a will, and Steam said that it is not possible. Though they do mention you can share your steam library and all that fun stuff. 

Read more about this news here: https://gamerant.com/steam-transferring-game-library-will-inheritance/?utm_campaign=TrueAnthem-GR&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=Facebook

Do you think some companies in the future would allow doing this? Maybe Steam could change their mind one day. 

"You take your Steam games with you to the grave IG, LOL"

Thsi is the reality of our modern paradigm of ownership, where you don't actually own anything, you license the right to play the game (over your lifetime!).  

Also, I will add, if you're worried about your Steam games in your will, maybe you ought to worry about some other things in your life.  Maybe?  

Steam has said that you won't be able to pass your library through a will. That's understandable from their point of view, they want to do business and earn more. But you can always write your credentials on a piece of paper and pass them through.

On 5/23/2024 at 4:06 PM, CharlesK said:

"You take your Steam games with you to the grave IG, LOL"

Thsi is the reality of our modern paradigm of ownership, where you don't actually own anything, you license the right to play the game (over your lifetime!).  

Also, I will add, if you're worried about your Steam games in your will, maybe you ought to worry about some other things in your life.  Maybe?  

I disagree. A Steam library is a collection, and collections get left in wills all the time.  Over time as a collection grows, it can be worth a significant amount of money.  I personally don't see a Steam account, or any digital game library, as being any different. As a digital game library grows it could easily contain thousands of dollars worth of games, additional content and software after just a few years.  Ownership rights of digital media is certainly a problem that needs to be resolved.

4 hours ago, Shagger said:

I disagree. A Steam library is a collection, and collections get left in wills all the time.  Over time as a collection grows, it can be worth a significant amount of money.  I personally don't see a Steam account, or any digital game library, as being any different. As a digital game library grows it could easily contain thousands of dollars worth of games, additional content and software after just a few years.  Ownership rights of digital media is certainly a problem that needs to be resolved.

Well, you don't actually OWN the collection - that's what my understanding of Steam is, at least.  You just own a license to PLAY the game, you don't OWN the game.  

So you never own the collection, you just own a collection of things that you (and apparently only you) can play.  

3 minutes ago, Ajay25 said:

Well, you don't actually OWN the collection - that's what my understanding of Steam is, at least.  You just own a license to PLAY the game, you don't OWN the game.  

So you never own the collection, you just own a collection of things that you (and apparently only you) can play.  

If you're right, then this is wrong. This is an issue with digital media that needs addressed.  You bought the games, there should be no difference in ownership rights between owning a game digitally or on physical media.  This is especially true on PC whare there is no physical media option anymore.  Not owning a game that you access through a subscription, like Gamepass, I get.  That's fair.  I accept that when I play a game though that sort of means.  I can even get behind not being able to resell digitally owned games like you can with physical discs, it's just not practical, but whare is the compensation for all this?  Digital games aren't really cheaper, so what is actually being offered by these companies to make this fair?  Exactly, nothing.  That's why I'm disappointed to to see people like yourself just laying back and accepting it.  You bought your Steam game collection, you should own your Steam game collection, end of story.

On 5/25/2024 at 3:36 PM, Shagger said:

If you're right, then this is wrong. This is an issue with digital media that needs addressed.  You bought the games, there should be no difference in ownership rights between owning a game digitally or on physical media.  This is especially true on PC whare there is no physical media option anymore.  Not owning a game that you access through a subscription, like Gamepass, I get.  That's fair.  I accept that when I play a game though that sort of means.  I can even get behind not being able to resell digitally owned games like you can with physical discs, it's just not practical, but whare is the compensation for all this?  Digital games aren't really cheaper, so what is actually being offered by these companies to make this fair?  Exactly, nothing.  That's why I'm disappointed to to see people like yourself just laying back and accepting it.  You bought your Steam game collection, you should own your Steam game collection, end of story.

You're welcome to complain to Steam if you want 🙂 

I'm not disagreeing or discounting what you're saying, but I'm also not the one making the rules up either.  I'm an everyday player just like you stuck with the same rules as everyone else 🙂