Register Now
StaceyPowers

Worst behavior you ever witnessed in an MMO?

What is the absolute worst behaviour you have witnessed in an MMO?

In one game alone, I witnessed:

• Admins cheating players in events
  • An admin banning a player for protecting another from sexual harassment
  • Destruction of real-life relationships to achieve in-game aims

Pretty lousy stuff. Anyone have stories to tell?

6 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

What is the absolute worst behaviour you have witnessed in an MMO?

In one game alone, I witnessed:

• Admins cheating players in events
  • An admin banning a player for protecting another from sexual harassment
  • Destruction of real-life relationships to achieve in-game aims

Pretty lousy stuff. Anyone have stories to tell?

I remembered an admin threatened to shut down a whole server because he didn't get a raise and he started randomly banning people for questioning him on why it's our business. I have seen a couple others but that one really stood out to me.

19 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I remembered an admin threatened to shut down a whole server because he didn't get a raise and he started randomly banning people for questioning him on why it's our business. I have seen a couple others but that one really stood out to me.

That one is impressively terrible! 

3 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

That one is impressively terrible! 

I can't remember which MMORPG it was at the time but I was like this is a sign I probably should go play something else...I swore it was some kind of April's fool joke but then I realized it was Mid-November. I also theorized that the admin was drunk/drugged because he sounded like a complete psycho.

20 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I can't remember which MMORPG it was at the time but I was like this is a sign I probably should go play something else...I swore it was some kind of April's fool joke but then I realized it was Mid-November. I also theorized that the admin was drunk/drugged because he sounded like a complete psycho.

MMOs do seem to attract a lot of people on a power trip (speaking from experience, since I am sad to say I was one of them). Thus the abusive behaviors, I suppose. You can get away with a lot sitting behind a screen.

5 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

MMOs do seem to attract a lot of people on a power trip (speaking from experience, since I am sad to say I was one of them). Thus the abusive behaviors, I suppose. You can get away with a lot sitting behind a screen.

It's bad enough dealing with the p2w players with their massive ego-trip, it's unbearable when it is coming from someone who is supposed to maintain order in-game.

15 hours ago, killamch89 said:

It's bad enough dealing with the p2w players with their massive ego-trip, it's unbearable when it is coming from someone who is supposed to maintain order in-game.

Yeah. My worst story is an admin whose real life boyfriend was sexually harassing my friend in-game. So I asked my in-game brother to help her, and he intervened in the situation so my friend wouldn’t have to log out just to stop being harassed. So the administrator permanently killed off his character, all because the harasser was her real boyfriend, and she was that mad at my brother for having a conscience. She then stood around in a public square in-game mocking me for my loss of my brother.

Ironically, she and I were sort-of friends before that at one point, and she gave me some good advice about dealing with people and being willing to kick the toxic ones to the curb. Glad I took her advice and kicked her to the curb before that whole thing went down.

7 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

Yeah. My worst story is an admin whose real life boyfriend was sexually harassing my friend in-game. So I asked my in-game brother to help her, and he intervened in the situation so my friend wouldn’t have to log out just to stop being harassed. So the administrator permanently killed off his character, all because the harasser was her real boyfriend, and she was that mad at my brother for having a conscience. She then stood around in a public square in-game mocking me for my loss of my brother.

Ironically, she and I were sort-of friends before that at one point, and she gave me some good advice about dealing with people and being willing to kick the toxic ones to the curb. Glad I took her advice and kicked her to the curb before that whole thing went down.

It's always a few rotten people that always spoil the fun for the majority. What was he accomplishing by sexually harassing your friend in-game. Did it turn him on or something? It's reaching a point in society where most people will have to be checked for some sort of mental illness before they can be trusted to do the simplest of tasks unsupervised.

On 4/4/2019 at 7:16 PM, killamch89 said:

It's always a few rotten people that always spoil the fun for the majority. What was he accomplishing by sexually harassing your friend in-game. Did it turn him on or something? It's reaching a point in society where most people will have to be checked for some sort of mental illness before they can be trusted to do the simplest of tasks unsupervised.

Yeah, I have no idea what the appeal was. Everyday sadism is quite common though, especially online. I mean, what do trolls get out of trolling? Apparently quite a lot, since they keep doing it.

One of the things I love about VGR is that there is a surprising lack of trolling here, which is especially refreshing on a video game forum. Posting here almost reminds me of the way the internet was back in the early days. 

Edited by StaceyPowers

49 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

Yeah, I have no idea what the appeal was. Everyday sadism is quite common though, especially online. I mean, what do trolls get out of trolling? Apparently quite a lot, since they keep doing it.

One of the things I love about VGR is that there is a surprising lack of trolling here, which is especially refreshing on a video game forum. Posting here almost reminds me of the way the internet was back in the early days. 

I troll a lot too but not the malicious kind of trolling - it's more the mischievous kind of trolling where everybody is dying of laughter. Even the person being trolled can't stop laughing.

21 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I troll a lot too but not the malicious kind of trolling - it's more the mischievous kind of trolling where everybody is dying of laughter. Even the person being trolled can't stop laughing.

That's different :)

4 hours ago, StaceyPowers said:

That's different 🙂

I personally don't get any pleasure from causing grief to other players in-game unless those same players are bullies/douches. In which case I will pick on them continuously until they stop what they are doing or quit playing.

19 hours ago, killamch89 said:

I personally don't get any pleasure from causing grief to other players in-game unless those same players are bullies/douches. In which case I will pick on them continuously until they stop what they are doing or quit playing.

That was such a gray area in the MMO I used to play. I mean, the guy I knew who got banned for protecting my friend in the game was a homophobic bully himself. My friend was a lesbian, and he ended up losing his character to defend her from harassment. A lot of people were willing to overlook the admin's actions because he was such a pain in the ass himself. It didn't make the admin right, but I did see where they were coming from.

The joys of the internet ...