Register Now
StaceyPowers

What is the hardest combat style in Skyrim?

On my third playthrough of Skyrim, I have made it a rule not to carry any melee weapons, and to confine myself solely to destruction magic, conjuration and a crossbow. So far, I am only able to survive most hard fights because of the atronachs, and have come to the conclusion that destruction magic is one of the hardest standalone combat methods one could choose in Skyrim. What combat styles do you think are most challenging in this game?

I've never tried to really go Mage but I would imagine that being the most difficult by a long way.  There are so many skill trees you need to tap into.  Destruction and Conjuration sound easy enough to manage on paper, but even if you want to include any other weapon skill you will also have to include that associated weapon tree and Smithing.  You will also need Enchanting for staves and Restoration for healing and warding.  It's a lot on your plate especially at the start of the game, personally I think if you are serious about magic you really can't afford to invest any skill points in any other weapon or armor skill at all.

6 hours ago, Crazycrab said:

I've never tried to really go Mage but I would imagine that being the most difficult by a long way.  There are so many skill trees you need to tap into.  Destruction and Conjuration sound easy enough to manage on paper, but even if you want to include any other weapon skill you will also have to include that associated weapon tree and Smithing.  You will also need Enchanting for staves and Restoration for healing and warding.  It's a lot on your plate especially at the start of the game, personally I think if you are serious about magic you really can't afford to invest any skill points in any other weapon or armor skill at all.

My second playthrough, I did one-handed, smithing, and conjuration, and it worked out great!

The first playthrough, I wasted a bunch on destruction before realizing I couldn't really afford to do that and something else, like you said.