Register Now
StaceyPowers

Best strategies for the quarry in Fallout: NV?

1) Fools Rush in Where Daedra Fear to Tread. The first strategy is to not go. Fallout: New Vegas is full of 'shortcuts' that are incredibly dangerous to take, and are only recommended for people who have played the game at least once and know what they're missing out on.

2) More Fool Me. Turbo is a drug that slows down time by 35% for three seconds, with a stacking effect (meaning that the more you use it in quick succession, the more time slows down). Being a drug it's addictive, with a 20% chance of addiction upon each use. If you use Turbo 20 times over the course of the game, you get the "Fast Times" perk, which increases its length by 33% (a single second). This effect works with the Chemist and Day Tripper perks, both increasing the length of chem effects (Chemist is purchased on levelling up; Day Tripper requires the use of 25 addictive chems over the course of the game). Alternatively, you can go for the Implant GRX in the DLC, Old World Blues, but if you're unable to traverse the Quarry safely, you won't be able to get that implant with ease (it's non-addictive Turbo, unaffected by perks).

I make a point of using and buffing Turbo because it's the safest way to deal with Deathclaws due to their immense size, strength and most importantly, speed. Make a point of getting Power Armour, weapons (Plasma's good for this) and perks that can better bypass damage threshhold (DT), and keeping a safe distance. If the enemy's drawing near and/or you're running out of Turbo, stock up on Buffout for the HP, Endurance and Strength bonuses (10% chance of addiction), and make sure you've always got more Fixer than you think you need to remove your addictions (though the Courier will fell nauseous, and suffer UI effects like blurred vision and wobbliness like a poison effect).

3) Fool me Twice. Don't just take a Fat Man and 3 Mini-Nukes and think that'll do the trick. Stock up on ammunition of weapons that can penetrate damage threshhold, and weapons that can do greater damage to a newly-fleshified target. Take a companion if you have to; Boone and E.D can highlight targets to do additional damage and shoot from a distance. Alternatively, a companion like Veronica can use her Power Fist to hit Deathclaws up close and personal. The more companions you have and the more you tweak their tactics via the Companion Wheel, the greater the chances targets will attack them rather than you.

I hope that helps! Good luck!