Register Now
The Blackangel

Would you rather be able to play every musical instrument on earth, or speak every language on earth?

So far with traveling, I have been to every island in the Caribbean except Cuba. I have also been to the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico, Belize and Honduras. Everyone I interacted with spoke fluent English, so the language barrier hasn't been a problem for me. But I will be hitting up Colombia next year, which is why I'm trying to learn Spanish right now, to make the language issue less of a problem.

14 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

So far with traveling, I have been to every island in the Caribbean except Cuba. I have also been to the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico, Belize and Honduras. Everyone I interacted with spoke fluent English, so the language barrier hasn't been a problem for me. But I will be hitting up Colombia next year, which is why I'm trying to learn Spanish right now, to make the language issue less of a problem.

I've also been trying to learn Spanish for the last year because I also want to go to Columbia at some point this year or next year. As for Cuba, I've been there numerous times and you do need to know Spanish as well but you do have the option of getting an interpreter.

I have some family (not biological) that is Hispanic, and the mother of the family, whom I call my sister, is willing to start helping me with my grammar and pronunciation when I learn enough to converse a little. That may be a while though, as I never knew that learning a second tongue was so damn hard.

9 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I have some family (not biological) that is Hispanic, and the mother of the family, whom I call my sister, is willing to start helping me with my grammar and pronunciation when I learn enough to converse a little. That may be a while though, as I never knew that learning a second tongue was so damn hard.

Tell me about it - it's more awkward because I am part Hispanic and I don't know an ounce of Latin or Spanish. I've got some of the basics down but I can't hold a conversation past two sentences.

You're more advanced than I am. I know a few key phrases, and can identify a few words, but can't converse at all. The funny thing is that I can read Spanish 100 times better than I can speak it. I can normally follow whatever it is when it's written, but not always. For example when Javier is singing in RDR2, even though the words are on the screen, I have no clue what the lyrics are saying.

8 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

You're more advanced than I am. I know a few key phrases, and can identify a few words, but can't converse at all. The funny thing is that I can read Spanish 100 times better than I can speak it. I can normally follow whatever it is when it's written, but not always. For example when Javier is singing in RDR2, even though the words are on the screen, I have no clue what the lyrics are saying.

My Spanish reading skills are also pretty terrible - I can make out a few sentences but that's about it. Everything else I have to be assuming based what I already figured out.