Register Now
killamch89

Would you rather lose your passport or smartphone?

Getting back a smartphone is a piece of cake and besides, most of the info on the apps on my phone are already backed up so I retrieve that quite easily. The passport on the other hand, is expensive to replace and with Covid around, it'll take a while to replace as well so I'd rather lose my phone. Do you agree with my choice?

I concur with your choice. I would much rather lose my phone. Losing your passport can ruin your world. It gives someone so much information, that they can steal your identity from that one document, and you're completely fucked after that. I actually found a passport in my front yard one day a few years ago. It belonged to a woman I had never met or even heard of. I made a post on Craigslist that only said that I had found a passport. And that if the owner could email me and identify the name and sex on the passport that I would return it to them. Otherwise I would be taking it to the police department a couple days later. I don't remember the exact time frame, but for the sake of argument, and example would be I found it on Wednesday and said I wold drop it off at the PD on Friday. No one ever responded so I took it to the PD.

But it was so weird. That a random passport wound up in my yard. And if I remember right, the woman wasn't even from my town. And this is a big town. Around 130k permanent residents. When school is in session it easily tops 200k. There are a lot of colleges here in town. So who, what, when, where, why, and how are questions that will bug me for the rest of my life.

Who is/was she?
What happened that got her passport in my yard?
When exactly did it happen?
Where did the passport come from?
Why was it thrown out in the first place?
How did all this come into play?

Was there an incident that was never reported or at least unknown to the public? Like the judicial system decided to keep it under wraps for whatever reason?

So damn many questions, and no chance for answers.

10 hours ago, The Blackangel said:

I concur with your choice. I would much rather lose my phone. Losing your passport can ruin your world. It gives someone so much information, that they can steal your identity from that one document, and you're completely fucked after that. I actually found a passport in my front yard one day a few years ago. It belonged to a woman I had never met or even heard of. I made a post on Craigslist that only said that I had found a passport. And that if the owner could email me and identify the name and sex on the passport that I would return it to them. Otherwise I would be taking it to the police department a couple days later. I don't remember the exact time frame, but for the sake of argument, and example would be I found it on Wednesday and said I wold drop it off at the PD on Friday. No one ever responded so I took it to the PD.

But it was so weird. That a random passport wound up in my yard. And if I remember right, the woman wasn't even from my town. And this is a big town. Around 130k permanent residents. When school is in session it easily tops 200k. There are a lot of colleges here in town. So who, what, when, where, why, and how are questions that will bug me for the rest of my life.

Who is/was she?
What happened that got her passport in my yard?
When exactly did it happen?
Where did the passport come from?
Why was it thrown out in the first place?
How did all this come into play?

Was there an incident that was never reported or at least unknown to the public? Like the judicial system decided to keep it under wraps for whatever reason?

So damn many questions, and no chance for answers.

Exactly and can you imagine the damage can do with your passport, especially if you didn't report it missing right away. They can find out which banks  you have accounts at and gain access to said accounts - It's just one big nightmare.