Register Now
StaceyPowers

Opinions on the Chantry in Dragon Age?

To say I don't know much about it, the Chantry was the first video game that really got me thinking about organised religion in RPGs. I'm certainly impressed by the amount of scripture they have and what their ideas are, but I don't know all that much about them. It's going to be difficult to do so now I'm embittered by how the later games treat the ending I achieved in Origins. I'll follow this thread for yours and others' insights on this subject!

20 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

Can you elaborate? I'm curious now.

~~SPOILERS FOR DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS BEGINNING IMMEDIATELY~~

Toward the end of Dragon Age: Origins, you come to the realisation that the only way to defeat the Archdemon is for a Grey Warden to slay it and die in the process. This is another reason why their recruitment is so secretive and selective. Had Duncan not died this information would've been clear sooner, but due to the tumultuous events of the game, it's not until you meet with a Grey Warden much later where you have to decide if either you, Alistair, or if Loghain lives through the Grey Warden ritual you can choose to put him through, sacrifices themself to fight the Archdemon.

The game pushes Alistair sacrificing themself, and presumably Loghain for martyrdom, so your character can live on, but I felt it appropriate I give myself in sacrifice so Alistair can rule as is his duty. Roleplay aside, my character - a Mage of the Tower - had given their life, and in doing so, had given the Mages of the Tower full autonomy. No more Paladin influence, thus ending the tensions that somehow occur in Dragon Age: Inquisition less than a decade after the events of Origins. And I thought the peace between the Great and Second World Wars was shortlived.

This is also ignoring how the expansion Awakening does things. Several events are retconned (such as, err, my character's death), which should've been a harbinger of how BioWare are going to handle RPG continuity going forward. I've linked this a few times in the past but here's my write-up of the expansion, detailing some other issues I had.

~~END OF SPOILERS FOR DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS~~

Edited by Withywarlock

20 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

Roleplay aside, my character - a Mage of the Tower - had given their life, and in doing so, had given the Mages of the Tower full autonomy.

Holy crap, I did not know this was an option. I'm playing through my second playthrough right now, and my first as a mage. I had no idea that one's actions as the Grey Warden could actually free the Circle.

Just now, StaceyPowers said:

Holy crap, I did not know this was an option. I'm playing through my second playthrough right now, and my first as a mage. I had no idea that one's actions as the Grey Warden could actually free the Circle.

With the caveat that Alistair was alive by the end of all this. I don't exactly recall how happy he was with taking the throne or executing Loghain shortly before/after doing so.

But yes, that's the reason why I'm so vehemently against the later games, and to an extent the expansion. Apparently Templars didn't get the word they were no longer to hunt down mages, least of all one that was now in the custody of a (now living) Grey Warden.

13 minutes ago, Withywarlock said:

With the caveat that Alistair was alive by the end of all this. I don't exactly recall how happy he was with taking the throne or executing Loghain shortly before/after doing so.

But yes, that's the reason why I'm so vehemently against the later games, and to an extent the expansion. Apparently Templars didn't get the word they were no longer to hunt down mages, least of all one that was now in the custody of a (now living) Grey Warden.

Was the change only in Ferelden, or was it a new policy for all Chantry-influenced territories in Thedas?

23 minutes ago, StaceyPowers said:

Was the change only in Ferelden, or was it a new policy for all Chantry-influenced territories in Thedas?

I'm afraid I've not the foggiest. I would like to say all of Thedas, but I don't know what the policy is on Paladin/Mage Chapters outside of Ferelden. Keeping in mind, per a link in another thread about DA, there was no intention to make any more games with this property so the developers may not have thought to apply it to anywhere else. 😞

1 hour ago, Withywarlock said:

I'm afraid I've not the foggiest. I would like to say all of Thedas, but I don't know what the policy is on Paladin/Mage Chapters outside of Ferelden. Keeping in mind, per a link in another thread about DA, there was no intention to make any more games with this property so the developers may not have thought to apply it to anywhere else. 😞

Another continuity thing that may make you laugh (or cringe) ... I found out recently that there's a quest branch where it is possible to kill Leliana. But she is always alive in Inquisition, and reportedly the "Maker brought her back" if you chose to kill her =D