Register Now
The Blackangel

Horses in games

I don't know how many games in the current gen have horseback riding as a major part of the game, but for those that do, what kind of horse do you prefer? I'm not talking about breed, I'm talking about capabilities and characteristics. For example in RDR2, there are 19 different breeds of horses, and all of them have different personalities and abilities. A Shire horse is a war horse. It's a good horse to have. it has an even gait, rides well, and is intelligent. The problem with it is that it's rather slow due to it's size. A Thoroughbred is a good horse as it's a race horse. It's quick, nimble, and rides well. It's downside is that it's a bit panicky whenever a predator is near. The Arabian is listed as the best horse in the game. It has the highest endurance, is the fastest horse in the game, and rides well at a walk. The downside to it, is that it is completely stupid. It trips over grass, and I'm not even joking. It will intentionally test the strength of a tree by ramming its head into the trunk, without giving you the option of trying to maneuver around it. It is also impossible to control at times. But the stupidity aside, if you're looking for physical capabilities only, then yes the Arabian is the horse for you. There are 3 of them in the wild, and every other horse except war horses are also found in the wild as well.

Aside from an Arabian, if you're looking for a horse, I would recommend a Morgan, Mustang, Kentucky Saddler, or an American Paint. Those are your best rides.

Sorry about getting on a tangent about RDR2. It's the only game I play that has such an option of horses.

I always liked the shire in RDR2. I've only seen them used as pulling carriages, but never in the wild. So if I wanted one I'd have to kill the innocent. They are big and powerful horses that are beautiful and rides pretty well. I had an all black one that was my favorite horse. Most other games don't have horse qualities, just a mount that rides but with different appearances. The craziest horse to ride is the zombie horses in RDR Undead Nightmare. You can hardly control those beasts. In Ghost of Tsushima, you have your one main horse that is loyal to you, but if you hop on another horse that isn't yours then it rides a bit wild. Assassin's Creed series usually has some cool looking geared up horses you can switch when you want but they all ride the same. I can't think of any other game that has actual different characteristics or capabilities besides that in RDR2. 

You can buy a Shire at a few of the stables in RDR2. I don't remember exactly which ones it is, but I know that one or two of the sell a Shire. If you have the Ultimate edition codes then you can get one for free in Valentine. You just have to do the hunting mission with Hosea, because stables aren't open until then. But it's one of the earliest missions in the second chapter.