Register Now
Kane99

Forgotten freeware/shareware games

I grew up in the 90s, and didn't get to experience freeware and shareware like people in the 80s and 90s did. I had a commodore 64 in the 90s, that had a bunch of games on floppy disks, some that were likely copied by the previous owner before we got the PC. 

I don't remember most of the games we had sadly, but I'm sure there was some freeware/shareware games in the mix. For those wondering what freeware and shareware was, shareware is essentially a game copy, which sometime included legal freeware and sometimes illegal copied games. Back then you could copy a game and send it off to your friend. I don't recall if there was much fight about it, but it happened. Often you'd see floppys with written labels stating what games are on it. Kinda like how VHS tapes were. That's how games got out there as well. Freeware was just free games, but I think some copyrighted games were released this way and it was legal somehow. I don't know. That's just a guess. 

I sadly tossed all the games I had for my C64 years ago, and regret it 100%, because I'm sure there would have been someone out there who could have used them. My C64 died eventually anyway, and I have no way of fixing it and honestly don't feel like buying another one for it to also die out. Plus, there are sites that legally list C64 and other games online to play for free. So having a C64 or older PC, isn't really a requirement anymore. Everything can be done with emulation these days. 

Anyway, I'm looking for some of the freeware and shareware games that released, but have since been forgotten. Ones that were good, but never saw the light of day. I want to play more classic PC games, especially on the C64, as want to see if I can find any of the games I played as a kid. Plus, I just want to experience all these games that came before me, as I know I only scratched the barrel of games I've played in my lifetime.