Register Now
Kane99

Jump scares in video games are lazy

2 hours ago, Candy Stick said:

The music in horror games now is almost non existant, along with the scares, because RE practically has none left. In RE1 on the GameCube, you heard faint music that was appropriate for the atmosphere. Now it's so quiet in RE games, you could hear a pin drop.

And Silent Hill games didn't always have blaring music, but those games were always terrifying with the level of eerieness. Also, Akira's guitar work on "Theme of Laura" is nothing short of awe. But the idiots at Konami had to firstly go and disband Team Silent, then piss off Hideo Kojima many years later. Now the series is dead...

I think it depends on the game. When it comes to a horror game like the newer RE games, you want to hear your surroundings. If anything I find it more scary to be in a dark room with no music, because you don't know what to expect. Sometimes music can be overbearing as well, and defeat the purpose of a good scare, and some games utilize the same sound or music too much, like the violin sound that everything uses now, which kinda hurts the scares going forward. With horror movies for example, I almost prefer silence, because when you hear that creak of a door, or eerie sound in the next room, it seems to instill a lot more fear, but also adds to the dread I think. 

With Silent Hill, it worked because the music wasn't constant and worked differently depending on the area you're in. I remember Silent Hill 2 having sections with no music, and just sounds of monsters and metal sounds. Sometimes silence is enough. 

I watched this video recently on The Shining. I know it has nothing to do with video games, but I think devs could learn a thing or two about music and horror. Because the way they did the music for The Shining, was pretty cool. You can watch that video below. 

On 12/4/2021 at 9:54 PM, Candy Stick said:

The music in horror games now is almost non existant, along with the scares, because RE practically has none left. In RE1 on the GameCube, you heard faint music that was appropriate for the atmosphere. Now it's so quiet in RE games, you could hear a pin drop.

And Silent Hill games didn't always have blaring music, but those games were always terrifying with the level of eerieness. Also, Akira's guitar work on "Theme of Laura" is nothing short of awe. But the idiots at Konami had to firstly go and disband Team Silent, then piss off Hideo Kojima many years later. Now the series is dead...

As for Resident Evil game franchise, they were more tapping into the horror effects in their movie than they do in their games. I wonder why is that?