Register Now
Kane99

Dust covers for all games?

Would it be wise to one day get all of my games put into dust covers? Even disc based games with plastic cases? Reason why I ask, is because even in a jewel case or a plastic DVD style case, the case also starts to discolor or if you're dealing with dust, it can get dirty and sometimes greasy depending on the humidity in the area of storage. 

I figure adding that extra barrier, will help protect even disc based games. 

Typically it can't hurt. But what's more important than adding a dust cover to your game is how you store your whole collection. Do you leave them out, or keep them in a sealed container? i keep mine all in a sealed container. It prevents humidity an dirt from getting to them. So I highly recommend doing that.

18 minutes ago, The Blackangel said:

Typically it can't hurt. But what's more important than adding a dust cover to your game is how you store your whole collection. Do you leave them out, or keep them in a sealed container? i keep mine all in a sealed container. It prevents humidity an dirt from getting to them. So I highly recommend doing that.

Most of my disc based games are just in their standard case. As for my cart based games, they are loose. I want to get cases for each of them. I had a bunch of plastic cases for them, but didn't have enough for all of them. For better storage I just took them out and placed them on a shelf. I might install glass over the games at some point. I want to build a big shelf with a bunch of games, and make glass doors/screens for it. But yeah, I may need to buy plastic cases for them all for the time being. 

My NES & SNES games all have the dust covers they came with. Nintendo stopped using dust covers after the SNES, but all mine still have one. If you do get some plastic containers, you should know that even though you may not realize it now, even the ultra thin NES dust covers will take up a lot of space in each container. So you will most likely have to get several.