Register Now
Reality vs Adventure

When games lose sense of time

I see this being a very poor and lazy issue with games when timeframes are immediate and not allowing a sense of passing of time. Days Gone gives the perfect example of this. I've kept silent about it, but now it's worth a post because it keeps happening. I just finished a mission and head back to camp to officially complete it by talking with someone. At this point I know that it should have taken days or at least the better part of the day to do the task to move the story along. So at that point there are no missions to do so I head out and as soon as I pass the camp's gates to go outside, I get a new mission saying that the last task is complete and head back to camp. I just opened the freakin gates to go outside!!! You kidding me? Lazy lazy lazy....Things like that takes the essence out of immersion. Games have no excuse in being that bad at losing the sense of time. 

I would say half the gams I play have poor time management

5 hours ago, Reality vs Adventure said:

I see this being a very poor and lazy issue with games when timeframes are immediate and not allowing a sense of passing of time. Days Gone gives the perfect example of this. I've kept silent about it, but now it's worth a post because it keeps happening. I just finished a mission and head back to camp to officially complete it by talking with someone. At this point I know that it should have taken days or at least the better part of the day to do the task to move the story along. So at that point there are no missions to do so I head out and as soon as I pass the camp's gates to go outside, I get a new mission saying that the last task is complete and head back to camp. I just opened the freakin gates to go outside!!! You kidding me? Lazy lazy lazy....Things like that takes the essence out of immersion. Games have no excuse in being that bad at losing the sense of time. 

I would say half the gams I play have poor time management

I have heard about where a gamer had other views towards the subject by arguing that it's not really necessary as trying to make games be time conscious as it will be a simple waste of time. 

12 minutes ago, Boblee said:

I have heard about where a gamer had other views towards the subject by arguing that it's not really necessary as trying to make games be time conscious as it will be a simple waste of time. 

That is interesting. I can see doing a quick play through won't be as immersive, but helps save time. But for those that want to experience a game, there needs perception of time or else the moment gets thrown. Ironically, Days Gone even has a calendar of the number of days passed, hence 'days gone'.  But to try and give a sense of time, while completely disregarding it in the story is just plain idiocre or mediocre. 

Alot of things are a waste of time, but the problem for me is that I can't regulate my gaming so I play for 14 hours a day on weekends and that becomes a waste of life. I've decided to quit so I can focus on spending more time with my wife and kid. Today's my 5th day not gaming and I've gamed everyday for 25 years.

On 12/30/2021 at 10:45 AM, Reality vs Adventure said:

That is interesting. I can see doing a quick play through won't be as immersive, but helps save time. But for those that want to experience a game, there needs perception of time or else the moment gets thrown. Ironically, Days Gone even has a calendar of the number of days passed, hence 'days gone'.  But to try and give a sense of time, while completely disregarding it in the story is just plain idiocre or mediocre. 

Definitely a quick play through is going to be the best option for one who's not really chanced to go all in the game, it's more like rushing the game.