Register Now
StaceyPowers

Swimming underwater in video games

23 hours ago, Ravenfreak said:

I would get super anxious whenever I needed to go underwater in Tomb Raider. In the Sonic games it didn't really bother me much, nor did the drowning music. Since I grew up playing the Sonic games I would often avoid water sections if I could and even if I couldn't I would be able to easily make it through the water areas without too much issue. I don't really claustrophobic when I have to go in water areas in games.

I found with the Sonic games, they were done in a way that it would not seem real I suppose is how I would put it. 

Games nowadays tend to be more realistic and that also goes for the underwater features in the game and also drowning if that is in the game as well. It would make sense that we would see that more nowadays as they do try to make games as realistic as possible now. 

On 12/22/2022 at 1:02 AM, StaceyPowers said:

Does anyone else feel claustrophobic swimming underwater in video games? I seem to feel this way universally in games, even though swimming underwater doesn’t make me feel claustrophobic IRL.

Yeah! I do feel it which I why I don't like missions that involve me to be in water, swim underwater and go through caves and stuff. It is the same for me in real life. In fact, I can't swim so it would be worse.

In video games, swimming underwater is a wonderful experience. It allows players to appreciate the peaceful and beautiful underwater settings, while also facing interesting obstacles and enjoying the sensation of gracefully moving through water. However, this isn't always the case. Some of the video games I've played, without naming specific titles, have really poor graphics. Another big issue with swimming underwater in video games is when you swim "of the map" each title has it's own way of unrealistically killing you. Like being eaten by the shark in GTA 5, rather than just teleporting you back.