Register Now
Shortie

Do you think free online multiplayer games will become more frequent?

I've noticed that these games become free to play after a "season" of time where people can buy them. It's an interesting way of doing business, and perhaps frustrating for those that bought it. I know they made Destiny free to play as well after quite some time. The biggest thing I see is that they are getting money from people buying the expansion packs, and the extra things they can purchase for appearances and such. 

I think having a game that you know will last - this would be an okay way to start out to get more people bought in to play it. Then it makes sense to purchase expansion packs, but the question is - how do you know it will take off enough to offer it for free in the first place? Perhaps they are free until they get their quota in money returned and then make it free for all. Just seems like an interesting choice. Wasn't Fortnite first not free? I know it became free pretty early on though! 

25 minutes ago, Reverie said:

I've noticed that these games become free to play after a "season" of time where people can buy them. It's an interesting way of doing business, and perhaps frustrating for those that bought it. I know they made Destiny free to play as well after quite some time. The biggest thing I see is that they are getting money from people buying the expansion packs, and the extra things they can purchase for appearances and such.

Another good reason why I don't buy these "live service" games anymore. These companies are desperate to draw you into these games as early as possible because its those early players that are easier to rip off. Frankly, it disgusts me because if you start playing a game early, your experience is likely going to be less polished that somebody who picks it up a few months later given how bad these games tend to launch.

25 minutes ago, Reverie said:

I think having a game that you know will last - this would be an okay way to start out to get more people bought in to play it. Then it makes sense to purchase expansion packs, but the question is - how do you know it will take off enough to offer it for free in the first place? Perhaps they are free until they get their quota in money returned and then make it free for all. Just seems like an interesting choice. Wasn't Fortnite first not free? I know it became free pretty early on though! 

Game publishers don't have a "quota". They want all of your money, as well as all of everyone else's money, they wanted it yesterday and want to give you nothing for that money in return. Any step away from that closer to actually offering a fun game that's worth the price is a begrudged frustration and only done as a last resort, and that includes making the game at all. Why else would they sell games broken to say "we'll fix it" later? Why else would they cut stuff out of the game to sell back to you as microtransactions, battle passes, deluxe editions, pre-order bonuses and DLC? Even games that are free aren't really free, they do that as an excuses to be even more egregious with all that bullshit.

Edited by Shagger