Register Now
Shagger

Gamepads for PC

I had been using a fairly cheap, but perfectly functional wired gamepad for my laptop the last year or two, but but now discovered that there seams to be a dead zone on one of the analogue sticks. It needs replacing. I'm fairly open minded and would take wired or wireless and would be willing to look at something more expensive than an official XBox controller if the features justify it. There's only a few things to specify:

• No micro USB connectors, please. Those connections are too fragile and don't have the bandwidth of a USB-C making them pretty much obsolete at this point.
  • If it is a wireless controller, I do want it to use a large dongle. Small dongles are fine, but no the large "Pen Drive" style ones. I intend to use this on a gaming laptop which means I'll physically moving it around. I've been down this road before and those bigger dongles are begging to broken in this situation.
  • Likewise if it's a wireless controller, it needs to actually connect to a PC wirelessly. You would be surprised at how many 3rd party controllers do not connect wirelessly to a PC when they can to a console or a phone. 
  • Backlit buttons. I need to be able to see it after putting it down in a dark room.
  • Xbox style orientation of the ABXY buttons. A lot of 3rd party controllers are set to follow the same configuration as the Swich Pro Controller, which is no use to me. Some can be customised to be one or the other and if that's the case, that's fine.

Let me know what you guys think of. It'll be a few days before I can buy the controller, so there is time. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Edited by Shagger

I would suggest PowerA even though they do use MicroUSB for their controllers. If you're worried about Micro USB, they figured out a solution for that, as the USB cord sort of goes into a pocket on the controller so it's better protected from damage. Never had issues with it myself and I have dropped my controller multiple times over its lifetime.

Their controllers are not wireless though, they just have a detachable USB cord. I have two PowerA Fashion Pro Controllers for Xbox One. Never had any issues with them aside from the sticks falling apart after extended use (rubber on analog falling off, though seems easily replaceable). The build quality too rivals that of the original Xbox one controller imo, and has lasted me longer than most OEM Xbox controllers have. 

The controller is my usual daily driver for PC and Xbox. Even purchased my nephew one for Christmas last year.

Here is their site if you want to take a look - https://www.powera.com/ 

They do have a light up controller on Amazon here too that I couldn't find on their site - https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Enhanced-Controller-Officially-Licensed-x/dp/B095JNZGC4/

I'm surprised they still work. Most of my Xbox controllers, from 360 to Xbox One have always encountered analog issues. But maybe that's because I haven't played COD religiously like I did on those past controllers. 

But yeah, as you can see, I'm a PowerA fan and honestly prefer them over most everyone else. Plus their prices aren't too bad either. 

I wish I knew other options. I have a Logitech controller, but it's stiff as hell and I hate it, otherwise I'd suggest that too lol. 

4 hours ago, Kane99 said:

I would suggest PowerA even though they do use MicroUSB for their controllers. If you're worried about Micro USB, they figured out a solution for that, as the USB cord sort of goes into a pocket on the controller so it's better protected from damage. Never had issues with it myself and I have dropped my controller multiple times over its lifetime.

Their controllers are not wireless though, they just have a detachable USB cord. I have two PowerA Fashion Pro Controllers for Xbox One. Never had any issues with them aside from the sticks falling apart after extended use (rubber on analog falling off, though seems easily replaceable). The build quality too rivals that of the original Xbox one controller imo, and has lasted me longer than most OEM Xbox controllers have. 

The controller is my usual daily driver for PC and Xbox. Even purchased my nephew one for Christmas last year.

Here is their site if you want to take a look - https://www.powera.com/ 

They do have a light up controller on Amazon here too that I couldn't find on their site - https://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Enhanced-Controller-Officially-Licensed-x/dp/B095JNZGC4/

I'm surprised they still work. Most of my Xbox controllers, from 360 to Xbox One have always encountered analog issues. But maybe that's because I haven't played COD religiously like I did on those past controllers. 

But yeah, as you can see, I'm a PowerA fan and honestly prefer them over most everyone else. Plus their prices aren't too bad either. 

I wish I knew other options. I have a Logitech controller, but it's stiff as hell and I hate it, otherwise I'd suggest that too lol. 

Thanks for the suggestion. There does seem to be a slight issue with me being in the UK and not America, the being shipping. Even purchasing on amazon's UK store it could take two weeks for the damb thing to arrive. I've wish listed it anyway as it does look good.