Register Now
Shagger

Starship Troopers: Extermination. Now in Early Access.

Starship Troopers is franchise that has a habit of taking it's sweet time to have an impact. The original novel by Robert A. Heinlein was published 38 years before the Paul Verhoeven movie (1959-1997) and even 23 years after that there had had only been two video games made based on the franchise. First there was Starship Troopers: Terran Ascendency in the year 2000 then the simply named Starship Troopers in 2005. Neither of which released close to the movie and both of which more or less forgotten. There was also a pinball game and an iOS game on mobile that I refuse to even count. The film in particular has a definite cult following, so it is odd that the obvious potential for video games has been ignored for so long.

Then comes 2022, and out of nowhere we get Starship Troopers: Terran Command;

An RTS with a stylish, yet faithful look. It currently sits at a "Very Positive" reception on Steam at the equivalent of about $30. I haven't played, but really want to and it looks decent enough, by maybe lacks some of the ambition the idea of a Starship Troopers could have.

Another year passes, and now an entirely different team looks to do another completely different take on Starship Troops in the form of a PvE, horde FPS, Starship Troopers: Extermination:

As a fan of the movie, THIS is what I'm talking about! 16 players desperately working together to hold thier ground against an endless horde? I get the RTS game, I really do, but THIS is Starship Troopers to me! There are a couple of concerns, first of which being the graphics. The bugs look great, but the rest of it lacks detail for me and the troopers themselves look blocky and flat. I also feel the game could do with a campaign/story mode, but something tells me that's not likely to happen. Playing horde move over and over would get boring pretty quick, so I hope the games gets more verity going forward.

Do you think this is will be the Starship Troopers game to finally meet the hype, or will it be another wet let-down?

I grew up on the Starship Troopers movie in the 90's and that is what made me a fan of the series. Honestly, I don't know how good this game is going to be as it kind of came out of nowhere and even after its sudden release, we still haven't really heard anything about it.